1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

8"x8" Vs 8"X12" Chimney for Equinox

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by ThomasCNY, Nov 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThomasCNY

ThomasCNY New Member

Hi everyone, I'm considering buying a Hearthstone Equinox and will need to replace my 6" metal chimney.
    I would like install a masonry chimney on the outside of the house this time and I am interested in opinions
    between an 8"X8" V's 8"X12". Chimney Height will be 30 feet total. 20 feet above thimble.
    The Equinox has an 8" flue.

Also if anyone has a Hearthstone Equinox I'd like to hear from you, not too much for reviews on this model.
    Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    There are a few Equinox owners on this forum. They will chime in at some point.

So... did you move it your self or did you have someone else install the 700lbs of stone and cast iron?
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I would try out the Equinox on the 6" flue if possible. At 30', if this is an interior flue, it should draw like a bandit.
  4. jlow

jlow Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sterling Heights, Michigan
    My EQ uses the 8" round and my run is 20' straight up. Works like a charm. We are extremely happy with ours and would highly recommend it. We heat our 2900 sq ft solely with this stove. Good luck.

Jeff
  5. summit

summit Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central maine
    for performance reasons, don't install it on the outside of the house unless you plan on doing a full insulated liner w/ it. If a masonry chimney is simply not plausible inside your house, go for a insulated class a manufactured inside... in the end it'll work better for you... and I'd go 8x12 (or actually it'll be 7x11 dimensional, probably.)
  6. ThomasCNY

ThomasCNY New Member

BeGreen- I wish I could use my 6" metal chimney for this year and build the masonry next summer but if I had a fire I'm sure my insurance company would deny the claim??? Is there a way to do this legally?

Summit- I've got an ugly stain on my new shingles do to coal ash washing off the chimney cap and running down the roof. My house has a big roof 10/12 pitch and it's in the front and looks like crap. I hoping with a masonry chimney on the side will be cleaner looking. But I'm wondering if the smaller 8X8 will draft better than the 8X12 because it will get hotter faster?
  7. Wood Heat Stoves

Wood Heat Stoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nevada City, California
    why not use 8" round pipe? it will draw better that masonry, and be way cheaper to install
  8. branchburner

branchburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Could the masonry chimney have an 8" ROUND clay tile flue? And insulate that with a very generous thickness of inexpensive perlite to keep it warmer?
  9. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Is it legal to build a chimney out of concrete chimney block and instead of using clay tiles inside the block use an insulated 8" stainless liner? Might be cheaper than class A and look better than a pipe running along side a house.
  10. branchburner

Loc:
    southern NH
    Would insulated 8" stainless be that much better than insulated 8" tile, other than warming more quickly?
  11. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    I was thinking stainless would be more durable, tiles tend to crack over time.
  12. branchburner

Loc:
    southern NH

It seems that would be the same as dropping an insulated 8" stainless liner down an existing unlined masonry chimney, so I don't see why it wouldn't be ok. But I don't write the laws.

One could still insulate with that generous thickness of perlite, saving money on the insulation wrap.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.