80-year-old wood--

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2008
West Texas
A few days ago someone wanted to see what 80-year-old wood looked like. I don't remember who it was, but here y'go on the photos of some 80-year old wood. There are a couple of single pieces and then a couple shots of him with several of his friends, in the wheelbarrow and then inside by the stove.

Attachments

• IMG_2511.jpg
    IMG_2511.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_2512.jpg
    IMG_2512.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 495
  • IMG_2513.jpg
    IMG_2513.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_2514.jpg
    IMG_2514.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_2515.jpg
    IMG_2515.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 496
Archie said:
Danger!! No smoking within 50 feet! That's great, kind of looks like cedar, do you have that our your way?

You're right it IS cedar! And it's so dry that it rings with a tone if you strike two pieces together, but it burns like gasoline, as someone put it. It's so dry that all I have to do is THINK about carrying it to the stove and it bursts into flame! :lol:

For the story of how it came to my possession see "A few sticks of wood--" in this forum. It's still on about the second page I think.

If you checked it with a moisture meter it might well read -5.............lol

NP

Let me see now. Cedar, not a particular high moisture wood. Cut and stacked for 80 years, should be enough time to finish drying. Texas dry air, further speeds the seasoning. Texas wind, WOW! Talk about kindling.

Terry, I'm wondering how much of that stuff you've hauled home now?

Were they fence posts or stored in a barn? How you came upon 80yo wood with bark still on it...not that I'm in any way disputing that...just curious.

Backwoods Savage said:
Let me see now. Cedar, not a particular high moisture wood. Cut and stacked for 80 years, should be enough time to finish drying. Texas dry air, further speeds the seasoning. Texas wind, WOW! Talk about kindling.

Terry, I'm wondering how much of that stuff you've hauled home now?

I've got a little over 6 cords at the house. I'm planning to add to that pretty soon, but I'm trying to find a dump bed stake side truck to go get it with. That way I can go get a load, come back and dump it and go get more. Current way requires stacking on trailer, to the house, handing it off and stacking it again. The other way I can stack it when I have time and won't have to clear the trailer off so it can be used again. Of course, if I could find some way for the sites to dump it into their big trailers and dump it at my house, without too much expense, that would be super! Haven't had any offers to do that yet, however. Some things out here you wait until they see how hard you work, take pity on you and offer to have their folks load it up and bring it to you. I'm still working on that part. :) Don't get me wrong, I don't mind hauling it one bit, but it would be more efficient for several of them to load it and bring it to me in a BIG truck!

Nonprophet said:
If you checked it with a moisture meter it might well read -5.............lol

NP

Entirely possible. I need to get a meter.

savageactor7 said:
Were they fence posts or stored in a barn? How you came upon 80yo wood with bark still on it...not that I'm in any way disputing that...just curious.

Some of them appear to have been posts. The are cut at right angles, as you can see. THe smaller wood seems to have been cut with an axe or chainsaw on an angle. Can't explain any of this. Never been stored under cover according to the plant manager. It is very dry here and it seems that the larger diameter wood has bark on it while the smaller pieces, less than about 3" diameter is all bark free and smooth. I DO know that these pieces fit perfectly into the FV, which I like. I collect the bark for kindling. This wood all came from Batch B in the photo with the yellow building in the background found in the "Few sticks of wood--" thread.

savageactor7 said:
How you came upon 80yo wood with bark still on it...

Certainly possible. There are 200 year old beams in my basement with some patches of bark still on them.

OK ...then thanks for the heads up on the bark question.

Status
Not open for further replies.