80lbs/40hrs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can do it with wood. Maybe just a bit of flame now and then, but mostly just the cat burning the smoke. The bricks just don’t make enough smoke to keep the cat going. It certainly wasn’t pouring smoke out of the chimney, and probably not enough to be much of a creosote concern, even with somewhat regular use. I think I could stuff it full and the BK could keep it under control.
The fly ash would be a big issue for a cat, I think. Probably a reason BK says to burn only wood.
Thanks Jeff for conducting the test and by doing so I've learned a little more about cat stoves. You pointed out the lack of smoke which for the non cats thats a real good thing. I too have noticed they take off fast and put off very little if any smoke. I pulled the trigger on another Elm and for awhile was going with the cat version. But Steve talked me out of it. So for now since I'm getting an easy 10-12 hrs on a load I'm happy with that.

Sweet. You putting one upstairs then? I'd like to look at one in my living room. I think. They look neat in a picture.

Thats the plan to put it on the first floor. With how warm its been getting I might not have enough winter left to give it a full test.

wkpoor said:
I can do it with wood. Maybe just a bit of flame now and then, but mostly just the cat burning the smoke. The bricks just don’t make enough smoke to keep the cat going. It certainly wasn’t pouring smoke out of the chimney, and probably not enough to be much of a creosote concern, even with somewhat regular use. I think I could stuff it full and the BK could keep it under control.
The fly ash would be a big issue for a cat, I think. Probably a reason BK says to burn only wood.
Thanks Jeff for conducting the test and by doing so I've learned a little more about cat stoves. You pointed out the lack of smoke which for the non cats thats a real good thing. I too have noticed they take off fast and put off very little if any smoke. I pulled the trigger on another Elm and for awhile was going with the cat version. But Steve talked me out of it. So for now since I'm getting an easy 10-12 hrs on a load I'm happy with that.

I did look into the Elm after we talked. The lack of a UL listing was a deal breaker when it came to insurance.

BrowningBAR said:
wkpoor said:

I did look into the Elm after we talked. The lack of a UL listing was a deal breaker when it came to insurance.
I found out the other day the original Elms were listed and did have tags. Steve said after the time span from when they quit building them to now they may want another test but you get them from UL and they cost about 2 bucks each. I guess without the tag I'll just need plenty of clearance but that will be the case anyway. My insurance knows I have a stove in the house. As to what kind and how much I use it they have never asked and I have never volunteered the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.