83 84 blaze king info needed " first post ever"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

denisn

Dec 9, 2010
oregon coast
hi, i have a 1983 non cat insert i bought new. its burned 10 month a year 24 hr day since 1983 uses 4 cord per year and heat s great. i just bought a 1984 used for son but it has a bunch of extra crap inside think its the cat type. SHOULD I GUT IT ALL OUT?? thanks denis

A 1984 model. I don't know when they came out with the catalytic.
I would not modify it.
If it is a Cat model, don't burn trash, just untreated wood.
If you want to burn trash, junk mail etc. & it is a cat type, you should be able to
remove the catalytic piece easy enough, or it may just burn out if trash is burned.

Modifying it may cause problems you don't foresee, & effect the burning & safety of the stove.

I wouldn't gut it, it will be much more efficient with all the guts inside but you also want to make sure it's all in good working order. May need new parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.