8X8 Clay to 6" SS Reline

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dcoates

Aug 12, 2008
Ulster County - NY
Newbe and confused!!!!

I have a question about relining 8X8 Clay with SS.

I did have chimney fire years ago so I do need to reline.

I had Chimney Sweep contractor come over yesterday to go over install and the Cost went from 1800 to 2300,

He said they would have to break out the old clay flu as well as the thimble, Brick on the interior.

install flex liner appox 17 ft that is very smooth inside, Not sure of brand and the thimble about $250 alone would be installed and bolted to brick, Some type of Insulation pored around liner.

Install includes stove delivery and install as well.

Does this price $2300 for the complete install seem reasonable for all the work needed?

Do I need to break out Clay liner or can it stay?

3 guys all day!!!

Thanks

Don

I just had the same work done (minus the stove delivery/install) and it was about the same price. The contractor removed the clay liner/installed insulated ss liner/replaced thimble. Sounds like a fair price to me.

You might want to check the cost of a poured in place liner (if available in your area) before commiting to a metal one. There are a few systems. Check at www.supaflu.com for one. Poured liners strengthen the chimney and insulate all in one step.

I'm looking to do the same type of reline and am wondering why the need to remove the clay tile. Is it a clearance issue? Also, do you need a thimble if the pipe is going through a stone chimney wall or can you simply run the T through the wall and insulate with refractory cement? The contractor that looked at my situation was suggesting he would simply knock out my clay thimble, run the liner within the existing clay tile and place a 90 at the bottom to turn towards the stove. There would be no replacement thimble.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.