8x8 Flue Tile, 6" SS Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

OnTheMountain

Dec 6, 2023
USA
We recently purchased a regency classic small insert. The subcontractor came out to install the 6" SS chimney liner. Our flue tile size is 8x8 and the smoke chamber is very tall and spirals before reaching the flue.

The subcontractor could only get about 4' down before the pipe was stuck and couldn't go further. After about 45 mins of trying, he said due to the small diameter of the chimney that a wood burning insert will not work and is suggesting a pellet or vent less gas option.

I can't seem to find anything on the Internets telling me the minimum pipe size a wood burning stove could use. I understand different models have different specs.

Do you agree with his assessment, or have any recommendations?

Would breaking the existing flue liner be an option so the SS liner would fit?

I've attached a past chimney report.

Attachments

• chim_report.pdf
    768.7 KB · Views: 66
Regency allows a 5.5" liner on it's smaller stoves. Was that discussed? The normal process in this case is to bust out the 8x8 tile liner and put in an insulated liner.

We briefly spoke about trying a 5.5" liner, but in the end he said it would not fit. Saying the chimney tapers in too much at some points.

I am guessing he hasn't mentioned the insulated liner because it's twice the price of the SS.

Is busting out the 8x8 tile liner a timely process?

Last edited:
We briefly spoke about trying a 5.5" liner, but in the end he said it would not fit. Saying the chimney tapers in too much at some points.

I am guessing he hasn't mentioned the insulated liner because it's twice the price of the SS.

Is busting out the 8x8 tile liner a timely process?
Did the installer verify that you have the required clearances between the outside of your chimney structure and combustibles? You probably don't which means you need insulation. The clay tiles need to come out so you can fit that. Breaking out tiles usually takes between an hour or two. But it can be much longer at times

We should be fine between the outside of the chimney and combustibles. So I guess my options are to get him to try a 5.5" pipe or bust out the tile liner and add an insulated pipe if we want a wood burning stove. This has been very helpful.

1.PNG
2.PNG

We should be fine between the outside of the chimney and combustibles. So I guess my options are to get him to try a 5.5" pipe or bust out the tile liner and add an insulated pipe if we want a wood burning stove. This has been very helpful.

. View attachment 320266View attachment 320267
So there is a 2" space between the outside of the chimney to anything that can burn the whole way through the house?

Thanks for pointing that out.

Do you have any other suggestions for options?

My understanding is if we went (vented) gas, the pipe would be too large for the tile liner.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Do you have any other suggestions for options?

My understanding is if we went (vented) gas, the pipe would be too large for the tile liner.
My suggestion is break the tile out and put in a proper insulated liner