~$900 Small Masonry Heater Proposal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you need more than 30-40k btus, you're house is probably giant and you could afford to install a multistory heater with multiple fireboxes to increase output. 'Cause you must be rich in the first place to actually own such a place...
No not really at all my house is only 2100 sq/ft and 40,000 btu wouldn't make a dent in it.

A full firebox is possible and then some. Huh? Because there is a cavity above the firebox (a corbled section). I watched mason's load more wood than the size of the firebox. How? They stacked the bottom horizontally and the top vertically - into the cavity. This vertical space above the firebox can be used.

As I said this heater is designed for a small house, a well insulated house, a coastal house, a large room, a cabin, and/or a house in the south. For an average insulated 2000 sq ft house in the midwest you would go with the larger design.

This heater would have worked in the house I'm building - 42' x 30' footprint, well insulated, and passive solar. I built the larger heater because I had extra material and a large door.

Status
Not open for further replies.