1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

97 F250 extra cab

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by RORY12553, Jul 30, 2013.

1. RORY12553

RORY12553 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern NY
    Looking at a 97 F250 with 95k...4 wheel drive...fisher plow...cap on bed...extra cab...utility rack above cab....needs a new spring in back which the guy has...needs a power steering line replaced....$4k...kbb is about $8k....seems like to good of a deal? body is in good shape...would be used for around the house to plow and collect firewood.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Ncountry

Ncountry Member

Loc:
    northern NY
    Love my Ford's..If it is not diesel it will like her gas.
  3. homebrewz

homebrewz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East Central, NY
    Hard to say how much service its seen with a plow. As in, did he just do his driveway, or everyone's? Towing and plowing make a hard life for a vehicle.
    Make sure its a P/S line that's leaking and not the rack.. that is an expensive repair.
    Automatic? Ford has had issues with certain automatic transmissions around that time frame. Plus, with the strain of plowing..
    I at least hope the fluid was changed at the recommended interval.

Just a few things to think about.
  4. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    If it books for $8K I'm guessing it is a diesel...a gasser would be a $2k-$3K truck at most around here.
    Highbeam likes this.
  5. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

The big question, is it a diesel? I love the squarebody PowerStrokes.... The 351W (5.8L) is no slouch either.

Trans is auto or 5 spd?
  6. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    8k for a 97? Must have checked the diesel box in the book. 2-3000$ truck if gas.
  7. RORY12553

RORY12553 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern NY

No I checked gas....must have checked something else wrong....actually came up at 6500....4k is high because it does need some work and seems to be the consensus here that 2-3k is more like it.

I think overall i need to justify having this truck when most of the time it will sit in the driveway. I do pay to have my driveway plowed and my neighbor pays too so it will save $50 every time plus he will pay me the $50 to plow his driveway. Also i won't have to be bothering a buddy every time i want to use his truck to go get fire wood.
  8. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Look for a single cab truck if it is just for occasional use. The extra cab adds a lot to the asking price it just adds turning radius or shortens bed length if you aren't going to use it.
  9. Highbeam

Loc:
    I don't know how I could get by without a truck. Each of the last two nights I had to haul 8' long lumber and/or 4x8 sheets of plywood. Soon, my eight garbage cans will be full enough to take them to the transfer station. I tow as well but just daily homeowner stuff often requires something larger than a car.

A dependable and stout truck, even a cheaper and uglier gas one, plus a nicer daily driven car is a great combination.
  10. tekguy

tekguy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    west mass
    97 F250's where two version, the diesel F250HD (which was the obs style) and the F250 light duty new body style (not a fan)
    at 8K it would be the diesel like others said, hell there was even a F150 with 3/4 ton axles to confuse stuff more
  11. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Those "heavy half tons" were good trucks.
  12. Highbeam

Loc:
    Except they had these weird 7 lug nut wheels.
  13. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Unless you are shopping for 20" spinners, that's not a big deal. ;)
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  14. Highbeam

Loc:
    Still have 14 year old OEM rims on my F350, not a spinner kind of guy but at least I don't have a goofy 9 lug wheel!
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  15. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I've seen a few on CL that have rusted frame issues.....worth checking