9F below zero with wind chill and HUGE problem at my house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dafattkidd

Minister of Fire
Dec 11, 2007
Long Island
The place is too HOT! My wife called me complaining the house is too hot, so she had to open a window.

I know for some of you this is normal, but for me this is amazing. I am so thankful for wood heat. When I bought my house in 2007 I could not keep the place warm. I remember a day it was in the lower 30s and windy. We had the boiler running non stop, electric heaters for back up and could not keep the house above 64. We had our first insert, Napoleon 1101, installed a month later. We have not been cold in my house since.

Since then I swapped the Napoleon with an Osburn 2400, which practically doubled my firebox size. I have done a ton of work to the house, so it retains heat so much better.

I know it's ridiculous, but getting that call from her was one of the best phone calls I've gotten in a while. I just figured I'd post it on the forum, because anyone else would probably find me insane or at least annoying.

Now that's progress. You will be saving on A/C in the summer too. It's the gift that keeps giving.

Reactions: dafattkidd
Awesome

I hope the next call from your wife isn't something like, "Honey, I figured out why it was so hot in here. The attic caught fire, but the fire department is on the way, so don't worry!" Just kidding, sounds like you have really fine tuned your set up to get that kind of heat out of your insert. Nice to heat with wood!

Reactions: Wormyone
Not only do I get complaints that it is too hot in our kitchen, but she goes in a T-shirt to other rooms that are merely 70F and complains that those are freezing!

2F outside, t-shirt weather inside.mmmm.

TE

Its a great problem to have. Our stove is too large for our house so we end up with large temperature swings. We've gotten so used to it being warm that we get the chills when its down to 72F now! Spoiled!

But I still tell all my oil/gas burning co-workers and friends this story just to make them jealous. Oh....and that I haven't turned on the boiler this year yet, they really give you the stink eye for that one.

Reactions: Dix
Nice job. Dom !!!

Just goes to show women are never happy :p

Reactions: Beer Belly
Just goes to show women are never happy :p

I have to say, she was really happy to have this problem. It was only a few years ago we were both freezing. We are both very grateful.

Wood heat + major insulation improvements = much friggin better.

Reactions: ailanthus
I have to say, she was really happy to have this problem. It was only a few years ago we were both freezing. We are both very grateful.

Wood heat + major insulation improvements = much friggin better.
I know, I was just teasing. My wife resisted the wood stove idea for a while but is happy now that we have one, the house has never been warmer and for less money. I'm not sure her resistance was because she was afraid I'd burn the house down or make a mess, so far neither has happened.

I know, I was just teasing. My wife resisted the wood stove idea for a while but is happy now that we have one, the house has never been warmer and for less money. I'm not sure her resistance was because she was afraid I'd burn the house down or make a mess, so far neither has happened.

My wife was the same way ;)

Its a great problem to have. Our stove is too large for our house so we end up with large temperature swings. We've gotten so used to it being warm that we get the chills when its down to 72F now! Spoiled!

But I still tell all my oil/gas burning co-workers and friends this story just to make them jealous. Oh....and that I haven't turned on the boiler this year yet, they really give you the stink eye for that one.

They look at you like your nuts, that its not possible.

dafattkidd, be proud! It should really give you that great feeling knowing you can heat the house as you are doing. We read many times about when the temperature gets into the low 20's that people are struggling to warm their homes. Wow! We're experiencing below zero nights and it looks to be that way for at least one more week except for one day when we are forecast to get snow. Naturally, that day will not be quite as cold. Sure wish March was a bit closer.

We've gotten so used to it being warm that we get the chills when its down to 72F now! Spoiled!
I'm the same way. During the "polar vortex" temp never dropped below 80 in the house. Its 10 outside and 85 in here. Its a good feeling knowing you don't have to worry about keeping your house warm. What I am worried about is running out of seasoned wood. _g_g. Just looked at the long range forecast and a couple nights next week there forecasting -10

Status
Not open for further replies.