A 10 minute scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdp1152

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2012
Massachusetts
Heavy winds around here today. Per usual, power goes out at home. Walk to the end of the driveway and find a white Ash top on the power lines. Power/Tree crew was here within 45 minutes so I was able to get the wood pretty quickly. Asked them to take the trunk down, but they declined since it wasn't on the town easement or right of way. Grabbed what I could...still some decent wood over there. The land/home was just bought and property owners aren't living there (just contractors doing work) so I cant ask for the rest. Regardless, decent wood from the top and only took about 10 minutes, which was about all I had time for since I had to get into the city for a meeting. Need to either learn how to sharpen a chain or pick up another one while I drop this one off. It was pretty dull cutting.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 152
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 185
Oh yeah....I was pretty much on autopilot with regard to cutting and completely forgot that I need to start getting 24inch lengths for the new insert. Everything was cut to 16. Doh.

Sounds also like a great opportunity to meet the new owners when they move in. Offer to cut the rest of that tree down for them.

Nothing wrong with that at all. Hope you made a friend or 2 with the line clearing crew.
Ash would be a good one to go 24" with. Some of the harder splitting woods I'd still stick to 18-20" if I was hand splitting.

Sounds also like a great opportunity to meet the new owners when they move in. Offer to cut the rest of that tree down for them.

Yeah, if I see em around, I'll ask. Some of the other neighbors were around so at least I got word out that I'd help get rid of any fallen/dead trees. I noticed that the tree that took out power in the same spot during Sandy was still on the ground. I thought I had heard someone processing it a while back, but it's been covered with snow up until yesterday. Not sure what kind it was.

Nice quickie.... ;)

Nothing wrong with that at all. Hope you made a friend or 2 with the line clearing crew.
Ash would be a good one to go 24" with. Some of the harder splitting woods I'd still stick to 18-20" if I was hand splitting.

I hand split good size sugar maple at 24 inches without much added effort. Funny, because I was complaining at the time because the tree crew cut it too long. Now I wish the majority of my wood was that size.

Need to either learn how to sharpen a chain or pick up another one
It's pretty simple, and a file and and guide is about $12

Check with the contractor working on the house and see if he will contact the owner for you so you can get the rest of the tree.

Heavy winds around here today. Per usual, power goes out at home. Walk to the end of the driveway and find a white Ash top on the power lines. Power/Tree crew was here within 45 minutes so I was able to get the wood pretty quickly. Asked them to take the trunk down, but they declined since it wasn't on the town easement or right of way. Grabbed what I could...still some decent wood over there. The land/home was just bought and property owners aren't living there (just contractors doing work) so I cant ask for the rest. Regardless, decent wood from the top and only took about 10 minutes, which was about all I had time for since I had to get into the city for a meeting. Need to either learn how to sharpen a chain or pick up another one while I drop this one off. It was pretty dull cutting.

That's a nice haul for the back of an SUV – guessing it's got some good suspension?

It's pretty simple, and a file and and guide is about $12

Actually bought kit not to long ago. Thought there might be some realatively decent instructions.....wrong.

That's a nice haul for the back of an SUV – guessing it's got some good suspension?

I've had it more full than that. Don't have anywhere to keep a trailer (though I've been thinking about remedying that). In this case though, I only drove about 30yds. Had a meeting I had to get to in Boston and didn't have the time to pull out the wheel barrow. Buddy of mine has a highlander and packed that thing full and drove 30 miiles on highway. I probably wouldn't push that much, but locally I'll load the 4 runner up and drive it.

Even a bad filing / sharpening job can make the chain sharper.
Some online videos sow "how to".
Extra chain handy to have also.

Nice score !

There is an video online from Oregan Chains, or maybe it is from Stihl Chainsaws, that shows how to sharpen a chain. Like others have posted already, it isn't hard to do a decent job. I really dull chain is the perfect opportunity to start.

That does not look like to much of a load for a 4 runner to me?

Also sharpening is easy. I did it by hand for years until last year bought the harbor freight chain grinder. It was $30 and was the best money I spent. It will take it back to factory sharp in say 5-6mins on a 20" loop. I have about 3 loops that I rotate out. I think I just had one worn out and need to scrap it. It was the original one on my saw about 8 years ago. I have cut many cords with that chain. I have 2 others right now that I use and will sharpen both and if needed I will swap the chains out if I need another one.

That does not look like to much of a load for a 4 runner to me?

Definitely not much. I've packed that thing with maple before. Not sure I'd want to go driving any long distance with a full load in her, but around town is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.