A 12” clearance to a permanently closed window is recommended to prevent condensation on the window.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmaclaren

Dec 8, 2010
Seacoast, NH
So, in my basement I have a window that is 3/4 the size of a normal window. It's not one of those in the top of a cement basement but one that is about 3' high and normal width. I don't want to close in the window and side over it as I don't have enough left over siding. So, I need to make it a non opening window.

So i was thinking that I could in the space for a screen, put in a caulk a window pane. Or, I could do that on the inside and causk as that would be sir tight.

At the most, I could board up the inside of the window and drywall over it as that should be acceptable.

Anyone with experience?

Is that the only window? You might need that window in case of a fire. Egress or escape. Maybe you should post a picture so everyone can figure out what you have there.

I have std. walkout door in the basement that's 5' away

That answers that.
Is that the only place you can put the vent? You can't go 48" to the side or below. 12" from the top of the window?

it's that or it's through the window

Yes, I am hoping that If I get a cut piece of glass, I can put it on the inside, caulk and trim it with 1/4 round and that should settle for non opening. I want to keep the existing for security and insulating factor.

I believe it should pass with the local inspector, I can't see them making me remove the opening panes

Are you sure you are going to have an inspection on the install there in NH? Did you get a permit or something? Insurance company? Otherwise don't go through all the trouble, any decent window will not give you any problems at all. My through wall installation is 7' from my primary entrance and less than 1' horizontally and 2' below window on one wall, then around the corner of the house there is another window within 2' and door within 6'. Yes if you go outside right as the stove is starting you get a face full of smoke, otherwise you barely know the stove is running when you're outside (it smells a little good), and the exhaust is definitely not going to come through the window, and you will not get any condensation on the outside of the window. Condensation on the inside will be as per your norm, maybe less because of the drying effect of the pellet stove.

I understand there are these guidelines in place for all sort of different reasons but unless someone is really being a stickler on your install, then try it first without "permanently" closing the window, you'll never change it. Pellet stove are much less intrusive than say a power vent on an oil boiler.

jcbyrd24 said:
Are you sure you are going to have an inspection on the install there in NH? Did you get a permit or something? Insurance company? Otherwise don't go through all the trouble, any decent window will not give you any problems at all. My through wall installation is 7' from my primary entrance and less than 1' horizontally and 2' below window on one wall, then around the corner of the house there is another window within 2' and door within 6'. Yes if you go outside right as the stove is starting you get a face full of smoke, otherwise you barely know the stove is running when you're outside (it smells a little good), and the exhaust is definitely not going to come through the window, and you will not get any condensation on the outside of the window. Condensation on the inside will be as per your norm, maybe less because of the drying effect of the pellet stove.

I understand there are these guidelines in place for all sort of different reasons but unless someone is really being a stickler on your install, then try it first without "permanently" closing the window, you'll never change it. Pellet stove are much less intrusive than say a power vent on an oil boiler.

His unit "ain't" a stove it is a furnace, and those aren't guidelines those are requirements (frequently for a couple of things), and in some cases they are also code.

Well furnace or not, the difference in a permanently closed vs. decent window locked closed does not warrant all the work if there will not be an strict inspection. Imagine going through all the trouble, calling out the inspector, and him saying "oh, I wouldn't have worried about that if I were you". The guy definitely wants to make sure he is even going to have an inspection for something like this.

Well furnace or not, the difference in a permanently closed vs. decent window locked closed does not warrant all the work if there will not be an strict inspection. Imagine going through all the trouble, calling out the inspector, and him saying "oh, I wouldn't have worried about that if I were you". The guy definitely wants to make sure he is even going to have an inspection for something like this.

Imagine having to file an insurance claim and having it denied or imagine the insurance company doing its own little visit and sending you a policy cancellation and notifying your mortgage holder who will then start foreclosure proceedings.

Care for more imagining?

Obviously you are a little cautious (you have 11 tons of pellets at your house) and I respect that, there are certainly plenty of idiots out there that need offsetting by responsible people like you, but this particular issue is just not that big of a deal.

What sort of claim do you think will be denied by an interpretation saying locked is "permanently closed"? I'm not in any way suggesting he do something like disregard a distance to combustibles requirement. Also, insurance companies try to deny claims all the time, but something like this would not get you denied (my entire family works in insurance). You won't get denied if you get in an auto accident doing 5 over the speed limit, or even more. Finally, if his agent did pay a visit, he's probably threaten to cancel, or correct. He could then do all the work he's talking about doing to be legit. If he didn't, and just got cancelled, he'd probably get a call from his mortgage company after several months asking if he's reinstated his hazard insurance, but they would not just start foreclosure unless they wanted rid of him anyway.

jcbyrd24 said:
Obviously you are a little cautious (you have 11 tons of pellets at your house) and I respect that, there are certainly plenty of idiots out there that need offsetting by responsible people like you, but this particular issue is just not that big of a deal.

What sort of claim do you think will be denied by an interpretation saying locked is "permanently closed"? I'm not in any way suggesting he do something like disregard a distance to combustibles requirement. Also, insurance companies try to deny claims all the time, but something like this would not get you denied (my entire family works in insurance). You won't get denied if you get in an auto accident doing 5 over the speed limit, or even more. Finally, if his agent did pay a visit, he's probably threaten to cancel, or correct. He could then do all the work he's talking about doing to be legit. If he didn't, and just got cancelled, he'd probably get a call from his mortgage company after several months asking if he's reinstated his hazard insurance, but they would not just start foreclosure unless they wanted rid of him anyway.

Any claim related to the operation of the furnace. For example a fire caused by the furnace or possibly caused by the furnace.

I'm quite aware of what insurance companies try to get away with and what they actually can and do do, and also frequently get away with.

Mortgage holders do not tolerate breach of conditions, they will act quite quickly, they do not call, in fact I've seen them act upon receiving a copy of the actual insurance cancellation.

You see I worked in the banking side of things for a very long while.

SmokeyTheBear said:
jcbyrd24 said:

His unit "ain't" a stove it is a furnace, and those aren't guidelines those are requirements (frequently for a couple of things), and in some cases they are also code.

Where I live that manual is the code. The local permits and inspections don't have any special code for the installations.

Put a screw into the bottom track now it's a non open window. Call insurance company make sure they know about your pellet stove. Some insurance companies will not insure a pellet stove unless they know about it. mine said if I didn't call them send pics on how it was installed and the house burned down because of it I would not be covered. But with insurance approval and pics to make sure it's installed right if it did start a fire I would be covered. So with that advice it's up to you how you want to continue. A screw in the track is considered a non open window where I'm from.

jcbyrd24 said:
POZBURN, if I'm not mistaken you suggested the same thing I did by saying "or you could never open the one you have".
Yeh I did stupid me and according to the manual I would be wrong. Sorry, after I wrote that I remembered the inspector saying that the manual was the code. In your defense jcbyrd24 I know my main focus would be the clearances of the vent from combustibles. I guess if he tried to sell the place it could be a problem.

Selling will be my next hurdle I'm imagining, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. My original point was check who was the authority on the install and ask them before doing something as extreme as his original post talked about to make it a "permanently closed window" because I bet you will find that particular rule being bendable. My insurance agent has blessed my install. I'm sure he sees it as my problem if exhaust comes through the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.