A be careful reminder

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adkjake

Burning Hunk
Jan 3, 2010
Adirondack High Peaks
As the article notes, details aren't available. But all the same, regardless of how it happened think SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY

ALBANY TIMES UNION
Falling tree kills Ballston man
By

Kristen V. Brown

Published 6:07 pm, Tuesday, February 19, 2013

BALLSTON – A man cutting wood on his property died after being crushed by a falling tree, police said.

Ballston resident Larry Sisler, 56, was chopping wood on his property at about 1 p.m. Tuesday when a tree fell on him.

He was pronounced dead at the scene by Saratoga County Coroner John DeMartino. Further details were not available.

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Falling-tree-kills-Ballston-man-4291400.php#ixzz2LWqqrEih

That article was way short on information. Here is a better account:

They tell the Daily Gazette of Schenectady that Larry Sisler cut down a tree that got lodged against another tree and then fell on him when it was blown free by the wind.
The accident happened at 1 p.m. Tuesday at Sisler's home in the town of Ballston, 20 miles north of Albany

We read too many of these stories:(. Danger lurks in wood cutting; when you least expect it, expect it.

Cutting trees is a very unpredictable venture to say the least. There are many MANY variables involved, and everything has to align properly for it to go well. You can NEVER be too careful when felling trees, so quadruple-check every aspect of every tree you attempt to cut. There's times I take over an HOUR to assess a job, and maybe several hours more to rig a top, etc.....bad things happen when you rush or lose focus.....

Cutting trees is a very unpredictable venture to say the least. There are many MANY variables involved, and everything has to align properly for it to go well. You can NEVER be too careful when felling trees, so quadruple-check every aspect of every tree you attempt to cut. There's times I take over an HOUR to assess a job, and maybe several hours more to rig a top, etc.....bad things happen when you rush or lose focus.....

Amen.

I sometimes have to spend a long time clearing a retreat in the woods, in case it doesn't go as planned. And wedges are your friends, and not just for getting the saw unstuck. My nephew cut with me a few weeks ago, and wondered what plastic wedges were good for. Had to explain a few things. He didn't say anything, but I'm pretty sure he thought I was wasting a lot of time.

Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.