A be careful when cutting reminder

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adkjake

Burning Hunk
Jan 3, 2010
Adirondack High Peaks
While tragic, these stories serve as a good reminder and wake up call to be really careful out there. My thoughts and prayers to the family and to all our being safe when cutting wood

From the Albany Times Union

Middleburgh man dies while cutting tree
BY PAUL NELSON
Published 09:18 p.m., Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Page 1 of 1
MIDDLEBURGH — A 57-year-old Middleburgh man was killed Wednesday in a logging accident in his hometown, Schoharie County sheriff's deputies said.

Charalambos Ioannou was cutting trees with his son Panayiotis along the Schoharie Creek when one of the trees kicked back and pinned him, said authorities.

His son managed to cut the tree off his father and then drove the man to the edge of Route 145 where the victim was treated and then taken to Cobleskill Regional Hospital, authorities said. He was dead on arrival.

Police say the Ioannous were taking down trees that had been damaged by flooding from Tropical Storm Irene.

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/local/art...-while-cutting-tree-3334553.php#ixzz1mXk878v8

I live nearby there and I didn't hear about it. Its another tragic result of the flooding. You can still see the damage from the flood, but there is a lot of damage here that you can't really see. Jobs have been lost, people are still out of their homes and even the local gathering areas are closed. I don't know which is worse, the physical damage or the mental.

Heard that Main Street in the Village of Schoharie is still pretty much ghost town?

Adkjake said:
Heard that Main Street in the Village of Schoharie is still pretty much ghost town?

I don't know the numbers. but there are very few people back in their homes. I have been helping a Friend of the family and he's hoping to move in his house soon. I think quite a few homes will have to be torn down. The house I have been working on has a walk in basement and the water was able to go in. The homes with deep basements were badly damaged from the water pressure.

Going to a wake tomorrow and a funeral on Saturday for my best friend in high school's father who died last Saturday after a tree came down on him. My friend is still struggling with the suddeness of this and is trying to pick up the pieces of his dad's business.

That's terrible, Jake. Your friend's family and the family of the other accident will be in my thoughts and prayers. You hear of these cutting accidents happening to the very best of them, all it takes is a miscalculation or lapse of judgement. So, everybody out there that cuts trees, whether they are laying down or standing up, use your best judgement and always be careful......if it looks unsafe and unrealistic to accomplish without experience, help, or special tools, IT PROBABLY IS.....

It is always sad to hear or read of these things. Pray for the families.

Status
Not open for further replies.