A beautiful house for $5k

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• build_a_house_for_less_than_$50007.jpg
    build_a_house_for_less_than_$50007.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 526
It might only cost $5000 to build, but its going to have one heck of a heat bill with that hole in the roof.

Cool pics a/p.
Was that Frodo I saw in the house?

Jags said:
It might only cost $5000 to build, but its going to have one heck of a heat bill with that hole in the roof.

That is a sealed skylight. Wood heated and well insulated + earth bermed in a mild climate. This should be easy to heat. Actually, it's quite beautiful and definitely looks fit for a hobbit.

Attachments

• house pic.jpg
    house pic.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 459
With that greenhouse on one side- it will get a lot of passive heat in the winter. I know a guy with a house against a hill with attached greenhouse- heats the whole thing on 1.5 cord a year in Deerfield NH.

BeGreen said:
That is a sealed skylight.

I kinda figured, but that wasn't as much fun. :coolsmile:

Yeah, when I first saw it I thought it was a smoke hole like at the top of a teepee.

How cool is that...your own little Hobbit hole. Would be a great idea for a hideout cabin in the woods. I could use one of those...

With a good roof, passive solar, good insulation, good drainage and wood heat, it should last fine and be easy to heat.

My only concern would be an earthquake. If the ground started shaking I'd definitely rather be in a trailer than that place or mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.