A Berry good question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
OK, so it's 4th of July, which means time to pick the plentiful raspberries around the perimeter of the property... see the first photo- scones tomorrow!

While picking today, I found some other berries that sure LOOK like raspberries, but they aren't. Their texture when I pick them is firmer than raspberries, they grow on a stem rather than on the sort of vine like raspberries do, and the vine has sharp individual thorns rather than the "fuzzier" kind of thrones on the raspberry vines. No, I don't know what they taste like- I don't know what they are yet. They're in the second photo...

Any ideas, anyone?

Attachments

• Raspberries.jpg
    Raspberries.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 134
  • Berries.jpg
    Berries.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 121
Night berries? Invisiberries? Oh...maybe Blackberries? ;lol Can't see 'em dogz...

&%@!- iPhoto is acting up.

You'll figger it out...lemme know if I can do anything at all to help. Rick

Maybe wild Blackberries?

Those are chicken-berries. As in, you're chicken to try one.

Brawk Brawk Brawk! I tripple dog dare you.

(They look like blackberries to me)

That's them! Wild blackberries.

There's not that many of them, while I am hip-deep in raspberries.
I am guessing they're safe to mix in with the raspberries?

"Swartz created a slight breach of etiquette by skipping the triple dare and going right for the throat!"

I still say yer yella. Go on, eat one of dem berries!

Blackberries are good and juicy. Wild black raspberries are really good too. I had a small patch at one jobsite that you had to wade into the thicket to get to it. Just me and the birds got those.

Blackberries have a different flavor, but sure mix them up, put them in cereal, pancakes anything. Yum.

Well, they look like BLACK berries becasue the photos are just black squares. I cannot see either of the two posted photos.

I have three types of wild blackberries here: the himalayan monsters that are upright, tall and very aggressive (invasive as all heck), the European evergreen or cutleaf type that is lower and less aggressive, and the native type that is a trailing and lower to the ground. I have to pull them all out all year round here as weeds. I grow raspberries and one type of blackberry here in my deer fenced area.

We have lots of wild blackberries and a few tame ones too. We used to have a lot of logan berries but because we don't like them we simply cut them. The loganberry is similar to the blackberry but are more longer rather than more round. Much larger overall too.

Wikipedia: The blackberry tends to be red during its unripe ("green") phase, leading to an old expression that "blackberries are red when they're green".

Well, THAT explains a lot. Pancakes it is. Maybe scones.

We have Himalayan blackberries on steroids out here. In good soil they can develop trunks 3-4" in diameter and limbs 20-30 ft long. They grow everywhere and are considered an invasive species. The downside of these monsters is their big thorns. They puncture lawn tractor and cart tires all the time so I have to have green slime in them. But, they produce fantastic, big juicy berries by the gallons, some of the best I have ever eaten. One of these days I have to learn how to make blackberry wine to take advantage of this crop. As it is we make blackberry jam, pancake syrup, cobblers, etc.. We don't mix them with raspberries, except in a cobbler when we have an overabundance of both berries.

In our yard, we have an old large cherry stump in which a big plant grows. This stays pruned so that we have an easy to pick batch. You can stand there with a bucket and pick about a gallon at a time from this one plant. It produces in quantity from August to late Sept.

Fixed it!!

Attachments

• Berries.jpg
    Berries.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 116
  • Raspberries.jpg
    Raspberries.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 129
Yah, those are blackberries. Now, if you can take a photo of the shrub and leaves, I can even tell you what type they are (if they are the wild types).

Those raspberries look good. Mine are just starting to ripen. I have two types of everbearing, and they give me spring and fall raspberries.

I raided the wild black raspberry patch behind my brothers house this evening before the fireworks show. Happy 4th to all.

Maybe wild Blackberries?

or wild black raspberries...

Parents used to have tons of both at their acreage,both 2 patches about 500 sq ft each that previous owner planted in early '70s (older plants not newer thornless hybrids,they were wicked) & then lots more growing 'wild' in scattered clumps several hundred feet away over an acre or so.Also had spread into parts of neighbor's 40 acre woodland & adjacent pasture/edge of 7 acre corn/soybean field.For some unknown reason almost 15 yrs ago now EVERY single blackberry plant both in those patches & most growing in the timber died,never to return.Must been some kind of blight or something because for over 20 yrs they were healthy producers almost every year.Now just the wild black raspberries remain,have to fight the deer & birds for what few I see.Thinking about setting out a couple plants in the yard someplace.I remember the old ones would flower,bear fruit & the canes would die,sending up sprouts from the roots that was next year's canes. Somewhat like Catnip does.

Status
Not open for further replies.