A bit too much for my little 170

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
This monster finally came down!! I was watching it for a few years...always afraid to approach it with a saw. I don't think my 170 will be able to work through it. This thing is about 2.5' across. I also believe it is a sugar maple!!

Attachments

• Tree2.jpg
    Tree2.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 594
  • Tree1.jpg
    Tree1.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 585
Get a good measurement on it. One round a week you might just pull it off. My guess 22 inchs.

smokinjay said:
Get a good measurement on it. One round a week you might just pull it off. My guess 22 inchs.

That hemlock next to it is 24" & the one on the ground sure looks bigger. One round a week?? That is a lots of weeks....

Diabel said:
smokinjay said:

That hemlock next to it is 24" & the one on the ground sure looks bigger. One round a week?? That is a lots of weeks....

The hallow end would be easy enough....Reminds me when I was a kid most logs where to big for the Lombard. (my first saw) Starting and keeping running an all day event.

5 minutes tops with my 288XP & 28" bar,full chisel chain.

Thistle said:
Too bad you are not closer to my neck of the woods!!
Seriously, I will attempt it with the 170 but it might take
sometime. I have to do it before the snow comes!!

Thistle said:

I would take that race with a semi chisel....Thinking its going to be a dirty bird. :cheese:

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

I would take that race with a semi chisel....Thinking its going to be a dirty bird. :cheese:

It does look kinda nasty,could be unknown surprises in there.

Other than some sand from the fall there should be no suprises.
This is pretty prestine forest area.

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

It does look kinda nasty,could be unknown surprises in there.

Really I was thinking the only chance I have to beat that 288 is with the 460(on that log). Just thinking there is enough bad wood to screw up a full chisel enough to win... :lol:

So, you guys are not kidding....it would take you 5min
with the toys you use!

Diabel said:
So, you guys are not kidding....it would take you 5min
with the toys you use!

Ball bark but bet I CAN BEAT THISLE BY 2 SECONDS! :cheese: Still a lot of weight to deal with afterwards....

Pfft. That isn't too much for a 170. Go to Baileys, order yourself a 16" bar and chain. 36 bucks plus shipping and only use it for special occasions.

Let me know if it works, 'cause I haven't tried anything like that on mine, which still does not run. (I need to get on that)

Danno77 said:
Pfft. That isn't too much for a 170. Go to Baileys, order yourself a 16" bar and chain. 36 bucks plus shipping and only use it for special occasions.

Let me know if it works, 'cause I haven't tried anything like that on mine, which still does not run. (I need to get on that)

I bet the 14inch will make it. Just chain hygiene and clean air filter. Heck lots of times I slow down just to keep off the splitter. Shhhhhhh dont tell anyone!

The thing that sucks about burying a saw like the 170 is the stupid plastic dogs on it. Do they make a way to get some real metal ones to really dig in? Not really to provide leverage to push it through, just a way to pivot nicely.

Danno77 said:
The thing that sucks about burying a saw like the 170 is the stupid plastic dogs on it. Do they make a way to get some real metal ones to really dig in? Not really to provide leverage to push it through, just a way to pivot nicely.

I dont think stock. Same set-up on the 192t but it digs in enough for the power you have. Anymore its just going to stall. Sounds like its time to re-visit the old 170 thread but start new.

Don't hold me to this but I think if I remember right, the MS180 has a metal spike stock or available and I think the case is the same from MS170/180. Should be a "bolt-on" upgrade. Bug me enough Danno and I might remember to look it up on my next parts run for ya. ;-)

MasterMech said:
Don't hold me to this but I think if I remember right, the MS180 has a metal spike stock or available and I think the case is the same from MS170/180. Should be a "bolt-on" upgrade. Bug me enough Danno and I might remember to look it up on my next parts run for ya. ;-)

MS180's are metal, and a good saw with a 16" blade.

Diabel said:
smokinjay said:

Depends on how long the rounds are!

Try it with your 170, you'll probably decide to pick up a second saw to have around for the bigger stuff you get here and there. If its a one shot deal, go rent a saw from HD or your local equipment rental place...make darn sure to purchase the optional damage insurance.

Bet the bottom 10 feet are hollow and punky, but you've got a ton of good hardwood in there.

Maybe I should just get a 16" blade a good chain and go at it

I bet it is no prob for the 170

You take these guys with bigger saws, the will just get frustrated.

Now, how is it you eat an elephant?

Baaa! I cut for 6 years with an old Homey 240 (it did have an 18" bar), and that 170 is probably right around there for power. I would not even flinch taking that log on. Now git to it. :zip:

mecreature said:
I bet it is no prob for the 170

You take these guys with bigger saws, the will just get frustrated.

Now, how is it you eat an elephant?

Big saws=big wood. :cheese: but your right one round at a time. My case 12 cords is not going to work like that. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.