1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

A Black Locust problem.

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by DMZX, Feb 21, 2012.

1. DMZX

DMZX Member

Loc:
    NE. Oregon
    I have been swing a 8lb maul for about 30 years, so I am pretty good at the mechanics of it, and fairly accurate to boot. Plus I am 6'2" and 220lbs, so I can put some descent heft into the swings. But I am a bit of an oldster, (I was conceived when my Dad was home on leave from Army Basic Training, before he was sent to the Pusan).

I use a 14" standard for all my rounds because I have a fairly small stove and that is what is easiest to toss in. I will need to make chunks that are, ideally, 6"X6", so my maul is going to get a good workout in the next month.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DMZX

DMZX Member

Loc:
    NE. Oregon
    As promised, here are some pics of my Locust tree project.

Before:

[​IMG]

And after (the dog is for scale):

[​IMG]

There was some rot in the center. I am using a maul to split the cookies into workable pieces and then splitting them into smaller pieces.
    It splits fairly easily once you get a tiny crack to work with. The limb rounds split very easily and have much less sap in them.
  3. blujacket

blujacket Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Carrollton,Ohio
    Those cookies look delicious. Wish I had some of those. :)
  4. ScotO

ScotO Guest

nice chunk of BTU's, one of my top favorite woods! Like the others said, black locust is not hard to split if you get at it while it's green. get a piece busted off of the outside of the round and work your way in, before you know it you'll have 25 to 30 splits from one round!! That locust is a beautiful gift to those who heat with wood!!
  5. Dairyman

Dairyman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwest MO
    Now that's a thumper!
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Green grass too! Wow!

Some good wood there and lots of wood just from the limbs. If it were me, I'd settle in with a sledge and 2 or 3 iron wedges and it would make short work of those big rounds.
  7. DMZX

DMZX Member

Loc:
    NE. Oregon
    The groundhog did not see his shadow here, so we are having an early start to Spring.

I figure I have about 3-4 cords laying there, and the maul seems to be doing the job. I have reduced three of the huge rounds to a pile of nice chunks. One of those big cookies weighs about half a ton, if not more. They are difficult to maneuver to the stump that I am using as a splitting platform.
  8. Locust Post

Locust Post Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast Ohio
    That is definitely worth the work. Serious btus there. Keep after it DM
  9. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Doesn't look like it is much of a problem after all. :)
  10. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    Keep em and give em hell youll split em.
  11. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    wow....not a whole lotta ant damage, I see. Good for you - good looking pile o' wood there.
    Now, teach that shepherd to split- he looks strong.
  12. Oregon Bigfoot

Oregon Bigfoot Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest Oregon
    Wow, that's a huge tree! Some nice natural gas savings there, that's for sure! When you are done, tell us how many cords you got out of that tree!

Your picture reminds me of a little town in Oregon called Weston.
  13. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Just a little hint here. Those large things do not need anything under them except for Mother Earth. Just stand them up and split them where they are. Saves a lot of work for sure and this is how I split all the wood whenever I do it by hand. Fortunately I've graduated to the hydraulics but it was forced onto me. This is one time I'm happy I was forced as it is a real pleasure splitting wood with these things. But occasionally I'll whack at a log or two just for kicks if my body allows it.
  14. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Do you have any action shots? I bet that was a neat one to see fall and one bad news saw used to cut it up!! I just like watching that stuff

Nice pile of rounds(even if they are not so round!)
  15. DMZX

DMZX Member

Loc:
    NE. Oregon
    I will take your advice on splitting them in place as I am working on ones that are further from the stump. My shoulders and arms are wishing I would graduate to hydraulics as well, but I am determined to do the entire tree with just my humble maul. I will post a pic of the final results, all split and stacked, when I get it all done.

Sorry no action shots. The tree service guy that brought it down reduced it to the trunk and then dropped the trunk (which rattled the house quite well). He used a Stihl MS 660 with a 36" bar.
  16. DMZX

DMZX Member

Loc:
    NE. Oregon
    After:
    [​IMG]

My humble maul reduced to "problem" to 3 1/2 cords.

Thanks to all for the great advice.
  17. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Nicely done!
  18. chvymn99

chvymn99 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kansas
    Great Job! Even though I've never burnt that stuff, if its half of good as they talk about on this sight then you'll be set. Nice Stacking too.
  19. ohlongarm

ohlongarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Keep all the locust you can I hit the muther load and cut this yesterday along with the cherry ,I plan on cutting more tomorrow stuff is fantastic will last for decades. You will not regret it. st pday 001.jpg st pday 002.jpg st pday 003.jpg st pday 005.jpg
    Hickorynut likes this.
  20. Locust Post

Locust Post Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast Ohio
    SWEEEEEEEET !!!!!!
  21. DMZX

DMZX Member

Loc:
    NE. Oregon
    LP, I followed your advice and it worked great. Some of the knotty stuff, where the limbs attached to the trunk, needed some additional saw work, but it all got reduced.
  22. mfglickman

mfglickman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW CT
    My local chainsaw/mower shop rents hydraulic splitters for $125/day. I don't think it would take you anywhere near a day to split those rounds. Worth a thought anyway?
  23. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Nice work! There's proof that you don't have to be afraid of the big stuff
  24. wazzu

wazzu Member

Loc:
    SW Idaho
    Damn, nice work. That stuff will burn HOT compared to what you are probably used to. Next time you get another big one of those let me know, I'll help you bust it up.
  25. ScotO

ScotO Guest

awesome work and that, my friend, is the best BTU's out there........