A Black Locust problem.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wood Duck said:
Hey DMZX, I don't know how physically fit you are, but I think anyone who can swing a maul reasonably well could split 14 inch Black Locust with just the maul. I know I could and I am not particulary big or strong. Don't try to split the 5 footers right down the middle. Find a weak spot or chip off the edges. Locust is prety easy to split, especially when cut to only 14 inches long.

I have been swing a 8lb maul for about 30 years, so I am pretty good at the mechanics of it, and fairly accurate to boot. Plus I am 6'2" and 220lbs, so I can put some descent heft into the swings. But I am a bit of an oldster, (I was conceived when my Dad was home on leave from Army Basic Training, before he was sent to the Pusan).

I use a 14" standard for all my rounds because I have a fairly small stove and that is what is easiest to toss in. I will need to make chunks that are, ideally, 6"X6", so my maul is going to get a good workout in the next month.

As promised, here are some pics of my Locust tree project.

Before:

scaled.php

And after (the dog is for scale):

scaled.php

There was some rot in the center. I am using a maul to split the cookies into workable pieces and then splitting them into smaller pieces.
It splits fairly easily once you get a tiny crack to work with. The limb rounds split very easily and have much less sap in them.

nice chunk of BTU's, one of my top favorite woods! Like the others said, black locust is not hard to split if you get at it while it's green. get a piece busted off of the outside of the round and work your way in, before you know it you'll have 25 to 30 splits from one round!! That locust is a beautiful gift to those who heat with wood!!

Green grass too! Wow!

Some good wood there and lots of wood just from the limbs. If it were me, I'd settle in with a sledge and 2 or 3 iron wedges and it would make short work of those big rounds.

Backwoods Savage said:
Green grass too! Wow!

Some good wood there and lots of wood just from the limbs. If it were me, I'd settle in with a sledge and 2 or 3 iron wedges and it would make short work of those big rounds.

The groundhog did not see his shadow here, so we are having an early start to Spring.

I figure I have about 3-4 cords laying there, and the maul seems to be doing the job. I have reduced three of the huge rounds to a pile of nice chunks. One of those big cookies weighs about half a ton, if not more. They are difficult to maneuver to the stump that I am using as a splitting platform.

That is definitely worth the work. Serious btus there. Keep after it DM

Doesn't look like it is much of a problem after all. :)

wow....not a whole lotta ant damage, I see. Good for you - good looking pile o' wood there.
Now, teach that shepherd to split- he looks strong.

Wow, that's a huge tree! Some nice natural gas savings there, that's for sure! When you are done, tell us how many cords you got out of that tree!

Your picture reminds me of a little town in Oregon called Weston.

DMZX said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Green grass too! Wow!

The groundhog did not see his shadow here, so we are having an early start to Spring.

I figure I have about 3-4 cords laying there, and the maul seems to be doing the job. I have reduced three of the huge rounds to a pile of nice chunks. One of those big cookies weighs about half a ton, if not more. They are difficult to maneuver to the stump that I am using as a splitting platform.

Just a little hint here. Those large things do not need anything under them except for Mother Earth. Just stand them up and split them where they are. Saves a lot of work for sure and this is how I split all the wood whenever I do it by hand. Fortunately I've graduated to the hydraulics but it was forced onto me. This is one time I'm happy I was forced as it is a real pleasure splitting wood with these things. But occasionally I'll whack at a log or two just for kicks if my body allows it.

Do you have any action shots? I bet that was a neat one to see fall and one bad news saw used to cut it up!! I just like watching that stuff

Nice pile of rounds(even if they are not so round!)

Backwoods Savage said:
DMZX said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Green grass too! Wow!

Just a little hint here. Those large things do not need anything under them except for Mother Earth. Just stand them up and split them where they are. Saves a lot of work for sure and this is how I split all the wood whenever I do it by hand. Fortunately I've graduated to the hydraulics but it was forced onto me. This is one time I'm happy I was forced as it is a real pleasure splitting wood with these things. But occasionally I'll whack at a log or two just for kicks if my body allows it.

I will take your advice on splitting them in place as I am working on ones that are further from the stump. My shoulders and arms are wishing I would graduate to hydraulics as well, but I am determined to do the entire tree with just my humble maul. I will post a pic of the final results, all split and stacked, when I get it all done.

Do you have any action shots? I bet that was a neat one to see fall and one bad news saw used to cut it up!! I just like watching that stuff

Sorry no action shots. The tree service guy that brought it down reduced it to the trunk and then dropped the trunk (which rattled the house quite well). He used a Stihl MS 660 with a 36" bar.

Nicely done!

Great Job! Even though I've never burnt that stuff, if its half of good as they talk about on this sight then you'll be set. Nice Stacking too.

The cookies will be ~14" tall by 5' in diameter. Maybe they will split without any cutting involved? Maybe they will be so big, that a good whack with a sledge will at least split them in half?

i will report back.
Keep all the locust you can I hit the muther load and cut this yesterday along with the cherry ,I plan on cutting more tomorrow stuff is fantastic will last for decades. You will not regret it.st pday 001.jpgst pday 002.jpgst pday 003.jpgst pday 005.jpg

Reactions: Hickorynut
SWEEEEEEEET !!!!!!

You may be able to just use the maul and work around the edge. Yes slowly reducing it. If it has some knots from limbs coming out the side it may be a bit of a challenge. If you get one that you just can't get any more split off of, make a cut across an edge with your saw down in a few inches and then swing the maul into that cut or drive a wedge into the cut.

LP, I followed your advice and it worked great. Some of the knotty stuff, where the limbs attached to the trunk, needed some additional saw work, but it all got reduced.

My local chainsaw/mower shop rents hydraulic splitters for $125/day. I don't think it would take you anywhere near a day to split those rounds. Worth a thought anyway?

Nice work! There's proof that you don't have to be afraid of the big stuff

Damn, nice work. That stuff will burn HOT compared to what you are probably used to. Next time you get another big one of those let me know, I'll help you bust it up.

awesome work and that, my friend, is the best BTU's out there........

Status
Not open for further replies.