A black outside Wall...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigruckus

Jun 2, 2011
Northern Maine, Millinocket
Saw this today in town...wow what a mess...hope they fix this...what the hell is going on...I should go over and help this person out...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 227
Saw this today in town...wow what a mess...hope they fix this...what the hell is going on...I should go over and help this person out...
That is nasty, if you do assist check the termination, could probably use a directional one or they may have to go out further or up to the roof with it. Many bad signs here.:eek: or maybe paint his house black.

If i was the one doing the install on that one i would have gone up past the eve

yikes!

and that sure doesn't look like a foot above or four feet from that window.

From the looks of it the vent is into the prevailing wind direction as well as being to close to the window (unless it is nailed shut) among other things including a poor air/fuel mixture.

also a poorly maintained stove.....certainly the termination is too close to the window, but not likely the cause of the soot on the home. Prevailing wind would be a biggie, tho. I would nix the end cap, and stick on a straight jet cap, or a simple 45.....heck, maybe even extend a bit away from the home...not like its gonna hit a lawnmower or anything when someone's working.

just have to account for where the snow and ice slide off the roof when extending pipes.
mine sticks out a couple inches. but is up closer to the eaves. and the snow slides away from the roof a bit when it falls.

Just want to point out that certain stoves allow the vent pipe to be within 18 inches horizontally from a window as long as an oak is installed.

Just want to point out that certain stoves allow the vent pipe to be within 18 inches horizontally from a window as long as an oak is installed.
yea, Subtle, and I squinted hard at that pic, and couldnt tell due to how black it was whether their was an intake kit on that thing of not.

From the looks of it the vent is into the prevailing wind direction as well as being to close to the window (unless it is nailed shut) among other things including a poor air/fuel mixture.
I agree the problem starts with the stove not maintaining complete combustion and starving for air. Probably needs a good cleaning also. How long ago was it installed?

if the house wasn't painted such a vibrant color no one would notice ( is joke). Someone might want to take a look at that stove before something really ugly happens.

uh,,, maybe we could track down the owner using his plate number,,, send him a letter or something,,,or stop by to see him,,,,

john

Reactions: Defiant
air/fuel mixture. Might just need a cleaning but I would lean towards a severe air leak such as a door not adjusted or the stove body warped.

Eric

uh,,, maybe we could track down the owner using his plate number,,, send him a letter or something,,,or stop by to see him,,,,

john
Mad Dog is going to go Ape $hit when he sees this. Don should come to the rescue soon, hopefully it is not one of his stoves!!!!

WAIT!!!! I THINK I KNOW WHAT HAPPENED!@!!!

This guy did the leafblower trick from inside his stove!!!!!!

maybe??

John

Reactions: Defiant
It's pics like that one that make my home owners insurance go up.

Maybe he's burnin Infernos or coal.

Most of the time around here when we see that it is one of two things, Homeowner did it himself and did not check with anyone (like bought stove used) or he tried to save money on pipe and just went as short as possiable

Status
Not open for further replies.