A burning quesiton....literally.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bige34

Aug 13, 2006
I appologize for the pun and if this question has been asked, but perhaps you guys can help a rookie out.

I have a new harman exception insert and am burning all day and night. I do not seem to be getting optimum heat out of the stove, though, and question if I'm using the proper setting for the air intake and the blower. The wood is burning fine and most pieces are hardwoods. The one thing I notice is a kettle of water that I put on the top of the stove has not evaporated a single drop.

Does the stove burn hotter the more wood I put in it (hope this isn't a stupid question), or should the heat be coming even if a load is just about burned up. I don't know if this makes sense but I just want to get the optimum amount of heat from my stove and the directions that came with hit are very vague.

Thanks for any help.

Eric

I have the exception insert as well. Just got it last year. One thing I bought is a rutland thermometer and I attached it to th fron tof the stove in the upper left hand corner above the door. Great tool. I start the fire using a firestarter such as super cedar and a few small splits on the bottom. I burn wide open with the damper open and air control fully pulled out until the stove temp reaches the burn zone temp of the rutland thermometer. I then add some larger splits to this first bed of coals and let them charcoal over a little, close the damper and then adjust the air control to the first notch after the high notch. Medium? If the after burner fires up in the back I am good, if not I open the air and damper and let the wood char a little more. Once it is dampered down and air djusted i turn on the blower. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.