A/C gloat!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
It's 97 degrees today. The 1000 sq ft ground floor (until the attic is finished off, this is the living area of the house) of my cape is being held at 80 degrees by a 6000 BTU window unit.

Later this month I'll be getting new windows which should help keep more heat out in summer and more heat in in winter.

I'm thrilled that a little window unit more suited for a 150 sq ft bedroom is holding the house.

Matt

Nice matt I am trying the same thing also .The only diffence is my place has basiclly no insalation and I'm using a 7200 btu a/c and it seems to run constanly

Sweet. I like to keep my ground floor below about 80 as well. My place is the same size, but has central A/C. Almost no insulation in walls, but big ole shade trees all around the house and high thermal mass of double layered brick + thick plaster are pretty good at keeping us cool. The house takes a couple days to really heat up & if temps drop to low 70's at night we just venting at night & close-up in morning. Otherwise we run A/C at night to keep around 80°F We've already run it more this summer than all last year (4-5 times if I remember).
97 degrees sux >:-(

Status
Not open for further replies.