A Call From Dead River

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A standard electric hot water heater, size as you wish, super insulated (at least 6" insulation) with all reachable hot water pipes also insulated and U-shaped heat traps, can be quite inexpensive to operate. Two of us, plus a regularly visiting daughter with grandchild, 100 kwh/month for electric hot water.

Remember that the GE still has a heating element that kicks in automatically if it gets too cold, so the HP is still saving you $$ 9-10 mos per year, otherwise its a regular electric tank heater. A full basement at 50° is not likely to get pulled down more than a couple degrees by a HPWH.

It's your choice....if you have a good place to install it, and can get rebates on the geospring to get the cost down close to or below a marathon, I would go for it. If the GE reviews give you cold feet, or no rebates in ME, then get a marathon, the difference is prob $150-200 a year in running cost. Or get a cheapo (but insulated) tank, and swap it out for HPWH in 5-10 years when that tech has 'matured'.

@woodgeek

How long have you had your geospring for? And I'm assuming you have the later red top unit?

A standard electric hot water heater, size as you wish, super insulated (at least 6" insulation) with all reachable hot water pipes also insulated and U-shaped heat traps, can be quite inexpensive to operate. Two of us, plus a regularly visiting daughter with grandchild, 100 kwh/month for electric hot water.
That's the way we're set up. Add low flow shower heads and a miserly front loading washer to reduce hot water consumption and the bill is not bad. With the GeoSpring's subsidized price at $199+ $100 for extended warranty and it would take at least 30 or so months to pay back. Oddly that is just about when these units seem to be breaking down.

That's the way we're set up. Add low flow shower heads and a miserly front loading washer to reduce hot water consumption and the bill is not bad. .

My dishwasher uses more water than the clothes washing machine. And the clothes washer can be set to take cold or warm water.

@woodgeek

How long have you had your geospring for? And I'm assuming you have the later red top unit?

I've had the AOSmith Voltrex 80 gallon HPWH for 22 mos.

He's 7' tall. weighs >1000 lbs, and answers to 'Optimus Prime'.

Last edited:
well just got off the phone with my boiler man and he said i can leave water in the boiler and just reduce the pressure to 0 shut the switch and if i need heat just pump up the pressure to 12 / 14 lbs turn on the switch and good to go...putting in a electric hot water tank this week ..that's it for me with oil...F^*( em...

Reactions: woodgeek
Status
Not open for further replies.