a cautionary tale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

REM505

I missed this 1" angle iron only because I checked around to see how the tip side cut was going. I love the trees there but they weren't supposed to have anything in them.

303990_1981574141896_1319485616_31735337_2048004296_n.jpg

In a few more years that iron would have been completely hidden inside the wood.

That is a nice miss.

zap

Just ruined a literally brand new chain (was on the first tank of gas it had seen) when my buddy forgot that the tree we were cutting had a gate in it that was taken off sometime in the late 60's. Guess who found the spikes / hinge :-/

pen

I found a bicycle chain and a lock disappearing into a white oak last weekend.
I'm guessing someone had a dog tied up there at one time.

Property line trees are notorious for barbed wire, nails & staples to be hidden inside.
I imagine with all the trees cut up after the 2 storms on the east coast, lots of dull or ruined chains from them.
Was a time when many trees in the PNW were spiked by protesters, ruined several large saw mill blades. Now they run them thru metal detectors.
I hit my own nails when cutting up one old tree in my yard %-P . One side of the chains teeth were rounded & shiny on the cutting tip.
Don't know the solution, carry a couple extra chains with you I guess.

Jack, in this case missing it was great!

I split a chunk of wood and found some metal in both halves. I burned both pieces to see what it was and found an old clothes line pulley nicely split in half. I was lucky to miss it with the chainsaw. This pulley must have been well over fifty years old as it was totally inside the tree.

RHH said:
I split a chunk of wood and found some metal in both halves. I burned both pieces to see what it was and found an old clothes line pulley nicely split in half. I was lucky to miss it with the chainsaw. This pulley must have been well over fifty years old as it was totally inside the tree.

Oh, that reminds me.. I should leave a note.

Attachments

• Chipmunk_pulley.jpg
    Chipmunk_pulley.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 352
Eviction notice? :lol:

bogydave said:
Property line trees are notorious for barbed wire, nails & staples to be hidden inside.
I imagine with all the trees cut up after the 2 storms on the east coast, lots of dull or ruined chains from them.
Was a time when many trees in the PNW were spiked by protesters, ruined several large saw mill blades. Now they run them thru metal detectors.
I hit my own nails when cutting up one old tree in my yard %-P . One side of the chains teeth were rounded & shiny on the cutting tip.

bogydave, when we bought our property the guy that sold us the land showed me some areas the old barb wire was still in the trees.

zap

I've been pretty lucky as far as this goes. I only hit metal once...some nails for an old deer stand. Pole barn nails are extremely hard and will trash a chain instantly....I hit for a second, saw a few sparks...pulled it out and my cutters were FUBAR.

zapny said:
bogydave said:

bogydave, when we bought our property the guy that sold us the land showed me some areas the old barb wire was still in the trees.

zap

Some states have laws that you can't cut "line" trees unless both parties agree. Tree is 1/2 yours & 1/2 theirs. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.