A Cheap and Effective Tarp Shelter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wooduser

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2018
seattle, wa
In my days as a Cub Scout and Boy Scout adult leader, I developed a cheap and effective tarp shelter that I offer here that might be useful for storing firewood, or might be developed into a kiln.

It uses six 2"x2" square wood poles, eight feet long and easily available at anyplace selling lumber.

Four of the poles are cut down to four or six foot lengths, and a nail driven into the top of each of the six poles.

Pretty much any size tarp with grommets in it can be used as the shelter. The short poles are inserted into the corner grommets and two middle grommets are chosen and the two longer poles and inserted in those grommets.

Six pieces of twine or cord are cut and a loop tied in one end. The other end has a taut line hitch tied in it so the long loop can be adjusted to size.

Taut line hitch: https://www.google.com/search?q=boy...59j69i57j0l4.4127j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-

The four corner posts are raised and the corner grommets inserted into the nail on top. The knotted cord is looped around the nail, and each pole staked out using the cord and a stake pounded into the ground. The same thing is done to the two long poles which form a ridgeline to shed water and provide head room. The poles should be pulling against each other in order to provide rigidity to the shelter.

Adjust the tarp so that it can't be inflated in a windstorm and this can be pretty effective shelter for your wood pile, I suggest.

In my days as a Cub Scout and Boy Scout adult leader, I developed a cheap and effective tarp shelter that I offer here that might be useful for storing firewood, or might be developed into a kiln.

It uses six 2"x2" square wood poles, eight feet long and easily available at anyplace selling lumber.

Four of the poles are cut down to four or six foot lengths, and a nail driven into the top of each of the six poles.

Pretty much any size tarp with grommets in it can be used as the shelter. The short poles are inserted into the corner grommets and two middle grommets are chosen and the two longer poles and inserted in those grommets.

Six pieces of twine or cord are cut and a loop tied in one end. The other end has a taut line hitch tied in it so the long loop can be adjusted to size.

Taut line hitch: https://www.google.com/search?q=boy...59j69i57j0l4.4127j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-

The four corner posts are raised and the corner grommets inserted into the nail on top. The knotted cord is looped around the nail, and each pole staked out using the cord and a stake pounded into the ground. The same thing is done to the two long poles which form a ridgeline to shed water and provide head room. The poles should be pulling against each other in order to provide rigidity to the shelter.

Adjust the tarp so that it can't be inflated in a windstorm and this can be pretty effective shelter for your wood pile, I suggest.
This sounds good. I can almost imagine it in my head. How about a picture?

Reactions: coutufr