a chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jakep

Aug 10, 2008
pa
ok guys i bought a harman add on wood furnace 2 years ago still not hooked up im going to do this now. My question is the flu i have a red brick chimney in my house and it does not have a liner my question is can i install the 6 inch black pipe as a liner through the chimney all the way up to top of chimney? I do have some class a chimney pipe that i want to later use for a seperate chimney system im not ready to do yet. Any help would be helpful my gas furnace doesnt vent out this brick chimney either just hot water tank.

I have been a professional mason for 30 years. The chimney you described would not be safe for a wood burning furnace. At a minimum you would need two layers of brick to the house side (if outside chimney) or two layers of brick all around for interior chimney, with a clay flue liner. THAT'S THE MINIMUM The clay liner is what handles all the heat in a masonry chimney. The brick and mortar will not. Also all mortar joints would have to be full and in good condition throughout the chimney. My opinion is to have it lined with a stainless liner, or install all new stainless flue. Using black pipe inside chimney would not last at all, it is very moist inside a masonry chimney, the black pipe would rust out very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.