A Classic Craigslist Post...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chvymn99

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2010
Kansas
I saw this yesterday afternoon, so I knew it I had to snap a picture of it or it would be gone the next round.

This was the first posting...
f4991aca.jpg

This was the rebuttal posting...
e42b571a.jpg

That's freakin awesome!!!! Dear Lord there may yet be a little common sense left in this world. Thanks for the post, made my day. A C

Re the CL ad poster, can anyone spell? In English? Seems like ESL for many.

I build 100% hedge fires a lot. I see no reason to mix it, for safety reasons anyway. A full load of hedge gives me 16 hours of burn time in the old school BKK.

lukem said:
I build 100% hedge fires a lot. I see no reason to mix it, for safety reasons anyway. A full load of hedge gives me 16 hours of burn time in the old school BKK.

I can get 8-12 on a furnace....100 percent for Jan.- Feb. sounds like a great winter to me! ;-)

What the heck is hedge wood? I've heard it before, but when I think of hedges I think maybe some arborvitae, or yews, mainly softwoods. Never anything substantial in there though...its all small bushes.

mayhem said:
What the heck is hedge wood? I've heard it before, but when I think of hedges I think maybe some arborvitae, or yews, mainly softwoods. Never anything substantial in there though...its all small bushes.

Osage Orange

blujacket said:
mayhem said:

Osage Orange

Almost Coal! ;-)

If you look at the wood BTU's chart its ranks the highest in the output chart. Its some great wood, and easy to process, when done when its green. But let it season before you cut it to size and it will laugh at your saw. The only negative to it is that will through out sparks, so you have to becareful in that aspect.

If anyone near me is "afraid" of burning it let me know, I will gladly get rid of that nasty, dangerous stuff for you.

Shawn

shawneyboy said:
If anyone near me is "afraid" of burning it let me know, I will gladly get rid of that nasty, dangerous stuff for you. Shawn

I really don't understand the difference in a tree that's grown in a hedge or a tree that's grown in a forest.

But I'm with shawneyboy, if anyone is nervous about burning any hedge oak or hedge cherry, best let me burn it for you in the safety of my stove right over the other side of the big pond ;-)

blujacket said:
mayhem said:

Osage Orange

I don't think there's any such animal in this part of the world.

Why is it called hedge wood? Is Osage commonly used to make hedges or something?

Osage orange is called hedge because they take the fruit of the tree (looks like a gnarly green grapefruit), let it rot a bit, and pour it in a shallow trench- then up pops a hedge of thorny nastiness that your livestock can't get through.

It's the densest wood that grows in the US, I have made several bows from it.

We don't have it out here, Mayhem- the only ones I've seen are the few that I've planted. You find them out west, and they have been planted in the midwest and south as hedges.

mayhem said:
blujacket said:
mayhem said:

Osage Orange

I don't think there's any such animal in this part of the world.

Why is it called hedge wood? Is Osage commonly used to make hedges or something?

I think you might be right . . . up this away (Northern Massachusetts . . . aka Maine) I had never heard of hedge or osage orange until I started hanging around with these hearth.com riff raff. ;) :)

My grandma kept a couple of the hedge apples in her basement to keep out the bugs and spiders.

AKA as a Monkey Ball Tree. LOL

Osage Orange is my White Whale of firewood...I may search my entire life and never see any here on Long Island.

I keep an "ohshit" stack of Osage (hedge) for emergency purposes. You know the one...when an ice storm comes through and knocks out power for several days, and you have to be gone from the house for 12 hrs at a time and STILL keep it heated, even though it is 40 below with 60 mph winds. Yeah, then the hedge comes out in force. I have a pile that has some 8-10" rounds that have been seasoned and under roof for at least 5 yrs. You want to talk about "overnighters". Yeee haawww.

woodchip said:
shawneyboy said:
If anyone near me is "afraid" of burning it let me know, I will gladly get rid of that nasty, dangerous stuff for you. Shawn

I really don't understand the difference in a tree that's grown in a hedge or a tree that's grown in a forest.

But I'm with shawneyboy, if anyone is nervous about burning any hedge oak or hedge cherry, best let me burn it for you in the safety of my stove right over the other side of the big pond ;-)

woodchip, there can indeed be a big difference between trees (any trees; not just hedge) grown in hedge rows or fence rows. The biggest difference is that the tree grown more in the open will tend to have many, many more limbs. That can make a big difference in the amount of wood you get from one tree but it also can be a big pain because of so much trimming to do and brush to stack. Also those trees out in the open can be more twisted due to the wind effect while they are young.

And no doubt you've noticed too that trees along the edge of the woods tend to have more limbs and also will be leaning towards the sunlight. Have to be careful cutting those buggers as they might have more tendency to split while felling. Just one more thing to be aware of when using that saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.