a cornucopia of dead juniper wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ylekyote

Sep 26, 2013
So on my 40 acres I just move onto (western central CO) there is a massive amount of downed, or dying Juniper trees/branches. The downed Juniper looks to be very old and dry because all the bark is off alot of it. I bet I have 50 cords of downed trees, and another 20 in trees that are old and dying.

I was told that Juniper is very hard on chainsaws, does that mean it is a harder wood? Or is it still considered a soft, less-desirable wood to burn?

Are there any tricks to the wood-cutting/sawing trade to make it not so bad on my chainsaw?

I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, and not burn all this free wood, regardless.

Juniper that I know is a versatile wood used for many things in the past. There are many kinds. I would try it out if it couldn't be used for something more profitable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniper

My family and I make fence posts and fence veneer out of it. It is super tough. And if the bark is left on it, it lasts forever as fence posts. It breaks 1/4" and 1/2" lag screws when being driven into it. I have to pre-drill the holes it so hard.

More profitable? Like what? There is so much of the stuff around here I find it unlikely it can be sold. Ideas?

I wouldn't sweat the saws. It won't hurt anything and it really isn't a big deal to sharpen the chain a bit more frequently. Get at it.;)

So on my 40 acres I just move onto (western central CO) there is a massive amount of downed, or dying Juniper trees/branches. The downed Juniper looks to be very old and dry because all the bark is off alot of it. I bet I have 50 cords of downed trees, and another 20 in trees that are old and dying.

I was told that Juniper is very hard on chainsaws, does that mean it is a harder wood? Or is it still considered a soft, less-desirable wood to burn?

Are there any tricks to the wood-cutting/sawing trade to make it not so bad on my chainsaw?

I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, and not burn all this free wood, regardless.

By all means. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. You have some very nice firewood there. Make good use of it.

My family and I make fence posts and fence veneer out of it. It is super tough. And if the bark is left on it, it lasts forever as fence posts. It breaks 1/4" and 1/2" lag screws when being driven into it. I have to pre-drill the holes it so hard.

More profitable? Like what? There is so much of the stuff around here I find it unlikely it can be sold. Ideas?
http://www.wildbuffalojuniperfurniture.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.