A couple chimney install Qs: thimbles, exterior offsets.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

burne139

Sep 4, 2023
Minnesota
Hi all,

I'm planning a chimney install with 6" supervent through a wall, and it's a little unclear how I should go about dealing with my particular situation. There's two problems:

1) The wall I'm going through is cement block with stucco exterior. The interior is plaster on wire mesh lath, furred out from the block 2.5-3" with wood studs 16" oc. Between the block and plaster is some 1940s-era mineral wool insulation. Would this situation warrant the same thimble as used with normal wood framing, due to combustibles being present nearby? Or if the penetration is centered between the studs, would the thimble be irrelevant, since I'd have more than 2" of clearance to the nearest combustible anyway?

2) There is a window on the second story of the house that would slightly interfere with a run of chimney up that wall. A 15* offset exists as part of the supervent system, and a couple 15s plus a short length of pipe would easily go around the window. Is this OK? I've seen a bit of talk that exterior offsets are not allowed in the supervent system, but I can't find mention of this in the install instructions.

Thanks in advance. I wish I could run the chimney straight up for simplicity and performance reasons, but it'd be a huge hassle to go through room above the stove, and the chimney would land in a weird spot that would partially block the window from the inside.

Run a short length of class A chimney off of the exterior Tee through the wall.
SuperVent elbows are only for interior installations. The installation instructions specifically say:
NOTE: NEVER OFFSET AN EXTERIOR CHIMNEY.