A couple full loads

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
Tree guy called, picked up a couple full loads of soft maple(silver) and filled my old mans half ton with some limb wood. The picture with the truck trailer together was today's load, the trailer was pretty much filled to the brim and then some. The diesel was able to stretch her legs a little! :) I've picked up about 5 loads from this guys so far this year, he calls me for the bigger trees. I have a feeling I'll be turning him down if he calls again anytime soon, I have a bunch of wood to process right now.

Sorry for the terrible cell pictures.

Attachments

• Yesterday 1.jpg
    Yesterday 1.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 131
  • Yesterday 2.jpg
    Yesterday 2.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 133
  • Todays.jpg
    Todays.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 158
Aren't tree guys swell?!

Nice loads.
Over a cord per trip, very nice
That'll keep you busy a while.
Nice sided trailer :)

Modeled my trailer sides after yours ;)
Hoping to be able to bring a cord + , per trip with the dual axle.
DSCF0966.JPG

Reactions: rdust
Nice loads.
Over a cord per trip, very nice
That'll keep you busy a while.
Nice sided trailer :)

Modeled my trailer sides after yours ;)
Hoping to be able to bring a cord + , per trip with the dual axle.
View attachment 101191

My sides were made in the dark over 4 years ago now.(long story but had no sides and needed to pick up wood in the morning) I had plans to make some changes and add a top rail similar to yours but it works so I just keep going with it. My sides are 2', I've thought about making them taller but honestly the trailer really can't handle much more than that anyway. After hauling wood with a trailer I can't imagine hauling by the pick up load anymore.

Yours should work great. When I'm actually running the saw and loading I very rarely have the energy to fill it up, a cord is about my max. The stuff picked up at the curb like this is cake, hand truck/dolly with ramps gets it into the trailer. You hardly get to break a sweat. ;lol

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Aren't tree guys swell?!

Hooked up with this guy last year. Most of it is yard birds so it's not the cleanest/straightest stuff but it's easy to pick up. Mostly silver maple and cherry with the occasional oak.

Yes they are, ones that deliver are even better!

I have to travel for this guy, he's not in my local area. I'm willing to travel a little when it's easy to grab, these loads were about 35 miles one way. With diesel around 4 bucks a gallon it probably costs me 15-20 bucks a load not counting the splitter fuel I'll need later.

"a couple of full loads"....you make it sound so easy!!..thats an awesome sight...

Pretty easy when it's left at the curb for you. I honestly have more wood than I no what to do with right now. I just can't say no when it's easy to grab. Plus when you start turning the tree guys down you get scratched off their list. ;lol

Reactions: Hills Hoard
My sides were made in the dark over 4 years ago now.(long story but had no sides and needed to pick up wood in the morning) I had plans to make some changes and add a top rail similar to yours but it works so I just keep going with it. My sides are 2', I've thought about making them taller but honestly the trailer really can't handle much more than that anyway. After hauling wood with a trailer I can't imagine hauling by the pick up load anymore.

Yours should work great. When I'm actually running the saw and loading I very rarely have the energy to fill it up, a cord is about my max. The stuff picked up at the curb like this is cake, hand truck/dolly with ramps gets it into the trailer. You hardly get to break a sweat. ;lol

2' sides also, ended up 26", deck to top of the 2X4.
May look for a dolly , plan is to roll the heavy stuff up the ramp.

5000 lbs of birch will be a day's work (6 to 8 trees (+/- to make a cord )
by the time it's offloaded, I'll be ready for a break.
I get to say when it's quitting time, don't have to get a full load every trip ;)

Having brakes is gonna be real nice
No brakes on the smaller single axle I was using, + it was easy to over load it.
Safer ;)

May look for a dolly , plan is to roll the heavy stuff up the ramp.

Dolly works awesome I'd never go back to working without one. When I'm by myself I can move some big stuff, I use a strap around the log to keep it tight to the dolly so you just need to pull the dolly to lift them. Working with two people is faster since one can push on the round while the other pull the dolly to lift and not have to mess with the strap.

Will start looking for a "hand truck"
(looked up "dolly" & got all sorts of hits) :rolleyes:

Can see how it could speed things p & be easier on the back ;)

Thanks for the idea.

Hand truck: ( Not dolly ;) )
dolly.jpg th.jpeg

The "hand truck" you have pictured is pretty much the one I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.