A couple loads

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattinpa

Oct 25, 2008
Western Pa
Here are a couple of loads I took out of the "back nine" I was going to take the summer off, and work on 2010-11 in the winter, but I just couldn't leave wood to rot another year without me having a say-so. I took out 5 loads like this in the past two weekends. Mostly sugar maple, with a little ash, beech and cherry. Had to spend a day making a rough road to get it out, but with more left to cut, I felt it was a good investment.

1.jpg

2.jpg

That and a case of beer looks like a fun weekend to me....

Sweet...wish I had a back nine.

Nice score...I wish I had a wood hauler like that.

Ok - I have to ask having just acquired an F150.. how much wood you got loaded in that truck? Have you modified the suspension or anything to be able to load it that much?

Nice wood - looks like some are "grunter's" to get into the truck. I see the truck isn't dragging at all - heavy duty suspension? Looks like just over 1/2 cord in the truck - did you measure it after?
I'm cutting up 16' maple and birch tonight. 12 cords deliverer last week. Almost halfway into it.
Happy burning in 2010!

That and a case of beer looks like a fun weekend to me....

The way I see it is. If you have no beer none of this wood stuff will ever get done.

Cheers KC

Nice load. My luck, I would stack it like that and lose a half dozen rounds driving home.

joshlaugh said:
Nice load. My luck, I would stack it like that and lose a half dozen rounds driving home.

You know that's right! I lost my first truckload twice on the same hill! I started using straps after reloading it twice! Didn't need
much due to the weight of the wood, but needed something to keep the back from sliding off as I climbed the grade. Pictured is my bro in laws F250 superduty. It took that wood like a champ. I never did measure how much wood I had. I never do. With me, its just cut cut cut and leave others to guess. Hoping to get back out tonight. My weekend is already shot with a wedding and guest staying at my house. I guessed before the 5 loads that I had around 2 cord. Looking back on it, I probably was a little low on my estimate. Probably had closer to 3 cord. Each truck load was 4 rows deep. As for how much would fit in an F150, If you push it, I think half a cord is about right. This is split wood.

Around here enforcement would write you up for an insecure load. They setup here right at our truck scales and pick them off like shooting fish in a barrel.

If you didn't have that toolbox you could fit more in there.

mattinpa said:
... Pictured is my bro in laws F250 superduty. It took that wood like a champ. ...

Ok - that makes more sense to me. I thought that was the F150 in your signature and was wowed by how much you loaded it up and how well it was handling it so figured you must have done some serious modifications to the truck to do that.

LLigetfa said:
Around here enforcement would write you up for an insecure load. They setup here right at our truck scales and pick them off like shooting fish in a barrel.

If you didn't have that toolbox you could fit more in there.

They would probably nail me here too, had I left our property. I'd never attempt to take those loads on a public road.

Mattinpa, that is good work. I'm with you on getting that wood out when it can be done.

You could also cut a piece of plywood to place behind that wood, then strap it and not have to worry about losing even one piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.