A couple of brick hearth questions - mortar?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joecool85

Minister of Fire
We finally have the chimney all installed and ready to go. Now I need to make my hearth. We have 4" x 8" concrete pavers we are using. The hearth is going to be 42" x 38" and I have a 3/4" piece of plywood laid down already and it is shimmed to level. It is screwed down to the floor. On top of that I have 2 sheets of 1/2" hardibacker 500 giving me .34 R so far. The concrete pavers are 1.75" tall so that should give me .166 R. Total that is .506 R and I need .5 R, so that's just enough.

Now, I've never done masonry. When I lay down my pavers, do I put mortar underneath them? If so, how much? There's going to be between 1/4" and 1/2" gap between the bricks depending on where in the pattern you are looking at (I've laid them dry to check). If I had even 1/4" of mortar underneath that would bring my hearth up to .556 R.

All R values are according to http://chimneysweeponline.com/horvalue.htm

Thanks guys.

**edit**

I also put a steel "lolly column" support in my basement under the hearth area "just in case" since I will be adding a lot of weight there.

With tile, the thickness of the mortar is more important because if you go too thick it will ooze up inbetween your tiles and not leave you room for grout.

W/ pavers which are so much thicker, you can really get away w/ a lot more.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I lost it in the shuffle. The lack of a reply certainly wasn't intentional.

pen

pen said:
With tile, the thickness of the mortar is more important because if you go too thick it will ooze up inbetween your tiles and not leave you room for grout.

W/ pavers which are so much thicker, you can really get away w/ a lot more.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I lost it in the shuffle. The lack of a reply certainly wasn't intentional.

pen

I figured as much, it's been busy in here. I took no offense to it. I'll probably go with 1/4" because it'll be easy to do with a grooved trowel.

Status
Not open for further replies.