A couple of hours of play...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chvymn99

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2010
Kansas
Well, had the day off, so I went off to the country. My Dad and I played a couple of hours on the hedge row, 2 trees down and a 3rd topped off (the rest of it will become a couple of post). The MS180 has became my side kick, love that little saw. Enough powerband to do quite a bit, but light enough not to kill the back. Ended up with running about 3 tanks of gas through it, and tomorrow will cleaning off the sap of the saw The sap is pouring out of the outer ring of wood, right after getting cut, and its sticky. But it was a wonderful morning cutting wood, just on the cool side though. Well, here are the picks...

Tree Number One on the ground...
3032d875.jpg

Tree Number Two ready to come down...
6f4dd41c.jpg

The Block party.....
0dfd6740.jpg

That will be a good bit of wood. Looks like you have plenty of rolls of firestarter too!

Good job, I see you have it tied off & ready to pull if needed,
What king of wood?
Must be in farm country, I see another row of trees a mile back.
No worries about working down hell there :)

Backwoods said:
That will be a good bit of wood. Looks like you have plenty of rolls of firestarter too!

Extra Large ones too! :lol:

You're right about the hedge sap being sticky. Not as bad as the pitch from a white pine, but close.

bogydave said:
Good job, I see you have it tied off & ready to pull if needed,
What king of wood?
Must be in farm country, I see another row of trees a mile back.
No worries about working down hell there :)

Yea, we had to tie both trees off, to bring them out in the pasture. Both where top heavy towards the cropland, plus to keep them out of the haybales. Its Hedge or Osage Orange. The hedge row is about a 1/2 mile long and my Uncle was givin' it to clear out. So fire wood and Hedge post it will be for the next 6 years probably.

Speaking of your distance away. How cold are you up there? I see that Alaska is boiling up some cold air again. Somewhere there yesterday had -51 F. We are expected to hit 60 here today, then its drops off for a day or two and goes righ back to 40's and 50's for the week. Stay warm my friend....

chvymn, are you supposed to get any of the high winds that are creeping across the nation? If so, I'd bet they really get blowing strong out there in the wide open spaces.

Backwoods Savage said:
chvymn, are you supposed to get any of the high winds that are creeping across the nation? If so, I'd bet they really get blowing strong out there in the wide open spaces.

Yep, it's quite windy out here today. Waiting for the next storm to push through. Yea, not much to stop that ol' wind, unless there's a wind break of some type out there...

37 with cold light rain most of yesterday here,57 (!) & sunshine today.Big cold front is moving in from the west tonight - Wind advisory statewide from 6PM tonight until 6PM tommorow. Scattered light rain/sleet mix overnight with NW gusts from 40 to 50 MPH on New Year's Day,high of 35.Monday still breezy with sunshine & high of 29.Planning on finishing up cleaning up that pile of dead limbs & branches & about 3 wheelbarrows left to split & stack unless schedule or weather changes.

That is some nice looking hedge. Someone kept that hedge row trimmed up over the years. They usually are a big sprawling tangled mess. Love the sticky white sap. :coolgrin:

chvymn99 said:
Speaking of your distance away. How cold are you up there? I see that Alaska is boiling up some cold air again. Somewhere there yesterday had -51 F. We are expected to hit 60 here today, then its drops off for a day or two and goes righ back to 40's and 50's for the week. Stay warm my friend....

-2°f right now. -10 at night. got up to 2° today. To warm up to the teens Thursday :)
No wind thank goodness.
Big cold front is about 75 miles West of us, well really cold may be a better description.
My weather is close to what Wasilla & Palmer have.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/wasilla-ak/99629/daily-weather-forecast/42078_pc

Premium fire wood you got there. Looks like good weather for cutting if the wind stops.
Very nice score :)

tfdchief said:
That is some nice looking hedge. Someone kept that hedge row trimmed up over the years. They usually are a big sprawling tangled mess. Love the sticky white sap. :coolgrin:

It is a big sprawling mess. What your seeing is our cleaned up portion from last year. The few standing last trees all have at least one hedge post that the uncle wants from them. This line has wind damage in sections and fire damage sections. Yea that sap was just leaking out right after they got cut, pretty amazing.

chvymn99 said:
tfdchief said:

It is a big sprawling mess. What your seeing is our cleaned up portion from last year. The few standing last trees all have at least one hedge post that the uncle wants from them. This line has wind damage in sections and fire damage sections. Yea that sap was just leaking out right after they got cut, pretty amazing.
That sounds more like it. I have seen a few that have been kept trimmed up and always wished I could cut in one of those :)

Looks like a good day for cutting chvymn99. Good work. Are you working on next year's wood? Or are you farther ahead than that?

Gasifier said:
Looks like a good day for cutting chvymn99. Good work. Are you working on next year's wood? Or are you farther ahead than that?

Im not real sure yet, as of Today exactly its only been a year since I started this madness and lovin' every minute of it. Im working on the assumption of about 2 to 2 1/2 cords a year, not counting the garage stove. So Id say at this point Im probably about 4 to 5 years ahead. But Hedge will last forever if taken care of properly and while its free Im going to take advantage of it while I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.