A couple of installation questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archer39

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2009
Pottstown PA
Hello, I am in the process of installing my Englander 30 stove and have a few questions. I am using Hart and Cooley products for the installation.

1. When constructing the chase around the chimney (running class A though a living space) do i need to use special fire resistant material? I read some posts on here that said that the chase needed to be made of material with a certain fire rating. In my installation instructions it states that the chase can be construction with ordinary construction material. Will i be OK with ordinary materials when maintaining my 2" clearances.

2. Do i need to secure the chimney any where along the way up though the chase with any type of bands? The chimney will only be 3 feet high out of the roof so no need to support it there.

3. Due to limited attic space (have about 11" where it is being installed) would it be ok to to attach the attic insulation shield to the bottom of the framing instead of on top. This will allow for the shield to come within 1/2" of the roof line. Other wise i think i would have to build a chase to the roof and use a firestop radiation shield and a rafter radiation shield

thank you

1. You just need to maintain a 2" clearance to combustibles (CTCs).

2. The class a sections will secure with locking bands, but the ceiling support box instructions will tell you how many feet of class a the support box will hold up.

3. Not 100% sure on this last one, sorry.

The ceiling support will support 50 feet but I am worried about side to side movement or will this not be a problem once connected to the stove and though the flashing?

I haven't noticed any side to side movement with mine. I have about 4.5' of exposed Class A, so I had them install the roof brace even though the manufacturer didn't call for one until you have 5' of Class A exposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.