A couple "rookie" questions.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TaddHaynes

Aug 24, 2006
I'm looking at installing a VC Aspen into a clay tile lined masonry chimney. I need a bit of help before I get in over my head. It will be a hearth installation into a long unused fireplace that had the firebox painted (latex). With the radiant properties of the stove, will this create a problem- i.e.-should I strip??

Also, assuming I am using double wall stainless steel to vent through the top of the existing chimney, can anyone give me a rough estimate on what to expect financially for a professional installation (so I can try to get the pre-approval from my CFO wife!). Approx. 18-20 feet (1.5 stories).

Thanks for any help you can give.

WVTadd said:
I'm looking at installing a VC Aspen into a clay tile lined masonry chimney. I need a bit of help before I get in over my head. It will be a hearth installation into a long unused fireplace that had the firebox painted (latex). With the radiant properties of the stove, will this create a problem- i.e.-should I strip??

Also, assuming I am using double wall stainless steel to vent through the top of the existing chimney, can anyone give me a rough estimate on what to expect financially for a professional installation (so I can try to get the pre-approval from my CFO wife!). Approx. 18-20 feet (1.5 stories).

Thanks for any help you can give.

I don't think you will have any problem with the paint. Latex tends to soak in and bond with masonry. Also, you are not applying direct heat to the masonry.....with a stove like that, you'll probably be able to touch the masonry at all time (it will probably be somewhere from 120-150 degrees)....not a problem for paint on masonry.

Double wall pipe is not needed. The chimney is already lined. A 6" stainless steel liner - flexible, rigid or some of each, can be dropped down the chimney and hooked to the stove - with a metal block off plate in the top of the fireplace. Depending on flue size and other factors, the best job involves wrapping special insulation around the ss liner.

A 20 foot job will run $1000 (uninsulated) to $15-1800 (insulated).

Status
Not open for further replies.