1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

A couple "rookie" questions.....

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by TaddHaynes, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaddHaynes

TaddHaynes New Member

I'm looking at installing a VC Aspen into a clay tile lined masonry chimney. I need a bit of help before I get in over my head. It will be a hearth installation into a long unused fireplace that had the firebox painted (latex). With the radiant properties of the stove, will this create a problem- i.e.-should I strip??

Also, assuming I am using double wall stainless steel to vent through the top of the existing chimney, can anyone give me a rough estimate on what to expect financially for a professional installation (so I can try to get the pre-approval from my CFO wife!). Approx. 18-20 feet (1.5 stories).

Thanks for any help you can give.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DonCT

DonCT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    I would think you would want to strip the latex paint. It will burn and produce fumes.

As for the chimney, I would have it inspected first. Then you may get away with just a liner. It's cheaper than doublewall stove pipe. Some of the other members that relined could offer more info.
  3. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    I don't think you will have any problem with the paint. Latex tends to soak in and bond with masonry. Also, you are not applying direct heat to the masonry.....with a stove like that, you'll probably be able to touch the masonry at all time (it will probably be somewhere from 120-150 degrees)....not a problem for paint on masonry.

Double wall pipe is not needed. The chimney is already lined. A 6" stainless steel liner - flexible, rigid or some of each, can be dropped down the chimney and hooked to the stove - with a metal block off plate in the top of the fireplace. Depending on flue size and other factors, the best job involves wrapping special insulation around the ss liner.

A 20 foot job will run $1000 (uninsulated) to $15-1800 (insulated).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.