A damper question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starter

Jan 31, 2007
I don't know if I understood my insert seller correctly, but he said that in my insert (going to be installed next week), the damper functions automatically with the door of the stove?

I.e. when you open the door the damper closes, and when you close the door the damper opens.

Is it possible? I mean, shouldn't one be able to adjust the damper while the fire is burning with the door of the stove closed??? :eek:hh:

Oh and 2 more questions please - about the secondary burn, does it have to be a special stove to do that or does that happen to any airtight stove?

How can I know the temperature of the fire inside? Are there special thermometers one can buy?

I don't have one of these but I would think that it should function in the opposite of what your explaining and be able to manualy adjust damper when needed. Are you not mistaking this "damper" for your "draft"?

You can get a magnetic high temp themometer for $10-$15 for this with running and danger ranges highlighted.

RingOfFire said:
Are you not mistaking this "damper" for your "draft"?

I'm sorry if I'm mixing up the language... I'm a foreigner.

What I am meaning is that circular piece of iron in the flue, which can open and close flue from near the stove.

I remember reading about this in the translated Spanish text. Seemed odd to me too. I think you'll need to speak with your dealer regarding these questions unless you can find another Bronpi owner. Same for secondary combustion, air tightness etc. Did you check out the references for the dealer and/or speak with any other Bronpi owners on island? How do they like this system?

I the older Villigants would open the damper when the driddle door was opened this prevented accidentl opening with is closed and cause smoke to puff out
My Encore and Intrepid require manual opening prior to door openings they are not automatic as earlier VC stoves were
Yes once the door was closed, the dampers could be manually controled

Status
Not open for further replies.