A day at the Airfield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another nice four stroke from Fresh Breeze, a company from Germany.

"Without propeller the trike is without sense..."

That's too cool... Makes a neat go cart doesn't it. And goes together faster than some complex scale models Ive seen. The one thing that would be a little nerve racking though is the thought that your life depends on those 2 carabiners not breaking. I think I 'd want backups.

Question - looks like a lot of these are water cooled. Any reason why they go that route vs. sticking to lighter and simpler air cooled setups?

I'll have to remember do a victory dance the next time I start an engine ;)

Nice work Jeremy....how does it fly ???.....my dads club sometimes would have a challenge....send up a few planes...send up a few Helium Ballons, and see who pops the most.....lot of planes got cut in half when they chased the same ballon<>

"Without propeller the trike is without sense..."

That's too cool... Makes a neat go cart doesn't it. And goes together faster than some complex scale models Ive seen. The one thing that would be a little nerve racking though is the thought that your life depends on those 2 carabiners not breaking. I think I 'd want backups.

Question - looks like a lot of these are water cooled. Any reason why they go that route vs. sticking to lighter and simpler air cooled setups?

I'll have to remember do a victory dance the next time I start an engine ;)

If we were meant to fly we would have wings already. I have flown many, many times over the years. From puddle jumpers to the biggest ones, for different jobs I have had. But I think I will take my chances on the ground from now on. Even with what the statistics say. I have not flown in years now, probably 6 years anyway. Just plan ahead for a longer trip and drive it. I like the "getting there" part of it as much as the destination part.

Nice work Jeremy....how does it fly ???.....my dads club sometimes would have a challenge....send up a few planes...send up a few Helium Ballons, and see who pops the most.....lot of planes got cut in half when they chased the same ballon<>

The gas plane is a blast to fly. With the excess power you have the ability to do things no full scale aircraft can do. I can takeoff, pull vertical and then stop in midair with the plane just hanging off the prop like a helicopter (hover). Then punch the throttle and it will actually accelerate vertical from a dead stop.

The larger size than the small models lets us fly on breezy days that the small stuff cant handle. 10-15mph winds are no big deal so long as its not gusting. The larger size presents better in the air, its easier to see farther away and at the same speed it appears to be moving slower than the small models so the maneuvers are less frantic - more like an airshow and less like a bumblebee zipping around. The greater mass and weight also lets a plane this size do inertial maneuvers that full scale airplanes can do (like tumbles and lomcevaks) that are hard to do with the really light small models.

So JHarkin . .. does the Mrs. still let you work on your plane on the kitchen table? ;) :)

Also, the "pilot" in the Red Bull model plane . . . is that a likeness of you? ;)

Mostly it was built in my basement shop. In the old apartment I had to move it upstairs to the dining room table to put the wings on in and balance because I didn't have room in the shop. In our house I have enough room to do that stuff in the basement now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.