A day at the lake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 3, 2007
On my so-called "week off" (I say so-called because it was spent scrambling to get my basement project done before the carpet came on Saturday) we did take a brief respite at the lake for some swimming, playing with the dog, and a few cold brews:

Lake.jpg

CraterLake2011018.jpg

CraterLake2011019.jpg

Nice!

The thing that I miss not being in Texas anymore. Lakes.

The ocean beaches are highly overrated. Lakes rock.

yooperdave said:
hey! look out for the gator in that first pic!!! i think he's after the dog!

ha ha - I went back and looked- good call.

Great pics! Fambly/dogs/outdoors- awesome

Who pick out the shorts? :cheese:

That is a beautiful spot! Looks like a great way to cool off and the dog also gets to join in the fun.

Midwest? Don't see a location on the pic.

Here is my little relaxation right prior to the 4th - I recorded it so y'all can take a virtual sail.
If anyone is in the RI area this summer and wants to come along on a real daysail, shoot me a PM. If the stars align (weather, wind and me being there), I'll give you a ride!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psMnHMbeeoY

Craig- is that you plucking out the theme music to your sailboat ride? very jazzy. your boat is lacking in cannon though. how do you expect to repel pirates with no cannon?

Delta-T said:
Craig- is that you plucking out the theme music to your sailboat ride? very jazzy. your boat is lacking in cannon though. how do you expect to repel pirates with no cannon?

Not me.....the old ipod with who knows what......
I use a $20. ipod speaker thingy which I put in a cloth bag and strap to the stern rail.......it works like a charm.

Only weapons I carry are the flares...they could do a number on a combustible boat.

BrotherBart said:
The thing that I miss not being in Texas anymore. Lakes.

The ocean beaches are highly overrated. Lakes rock.

Growing up in New Jersey I was very much a surf rat-fishing, surfing, boating, etc...but moving to the northwest corner of the state (as well as summer trips to Maine) converted me. The water is pretty much always a comfortable temperature (as opposed to the ocean which doesn't warm up until September!), it's peaceful and calm, and there are usually trees around to seek shade under on really hot days-plus when you get out of the water and dry off you don't have that salt crust all over you.

Webmaster said:
Midwest? Don't see a location on the pic.

The good old Garden State believe it or not-the location is a secret however-a well kept one in these parts. It's not private property but rather public land that relatively few people know about since it's fairly remote and difficult to get to, at least by New Jersey standards. It's one of the few places in the state that is swim-at-your-own-risk (in NJ we have many beautiful lakes in our state parks where swimming is not allowed because there are no lifeguards :( ) and *GASP* you can crack open a cold one without getting a ticket :D I'll give you a hint Craig-it's pretty far from where you used to live. If anyone does want to know where it is I'm happy to share via PM.

Ah, the hills and lakes of central and north jersey!

My installers back in NJ were pineys....they figured out how to waterski on the small lakes and cranberry bogs which dot the southern part of the state.

What you do - is to have a car up on blocks on one side of the pond. You remove one tire and have the wheel serve to pull in a rope.
So, your friend sits in the car - you go to the other side of the lake with the rope......get your skis on and into position, and then tell him to gun it!

The main thing is to let go before you ram into the car. Other than that, it's a perfect setup.

Webmaster said:
Ah, the hills and lakes of central and north jersey!

My installers back in NJ were pineys....they figured out how to waterski on the small lakes and cranberry bogs which dot the southern part of the state.

What you do - is to have a car up on blocks on one side of the pond. You remove one tire and have the wheel serve to pull in a rope.
So, your friend sits in the car - you go to the other side of the lake with the rope......get your skis on and into position, and then tell him to gun it!

The main thing is to let go before you ram into the car. Other than that, it's a perfect setup.

Had I not spent a large part of my youth four wheeling and hunting with Pineys I probably wouldn't believe you-but I do...lol

smokinjay said:

I quite like the shorts badfish....they are rockin....
Nice lookin dog.... looked like a great day for all
although lakes scare me because of snakes....I would rather the ocean.....hate them snakes.... >:-( especially the thought of them slitherswimming though the water and wrapping themselves around your leg.... :snake:

GAMMA RAY said:
smokinjay said:

I quite like the shorts badfish....they are rockin....
Nice lookin dog.... looked like a great day for all
although lakes scare me because of snakes....I would rather the ocean.....hate them snakes.... >:-( especially the thought of them slitherswimming though the water and wrapping themselves around your leg.... :snake:

Hehe...a holdover from my surfing days. The wife bought me a pair of grey trunks but they're too small. Thanks for all of the comments on the dog by the way-he's a happy and healthy 20 months old now-physically mature but still a puppy at heart. Hard to believe this was him less than two years ago:

hanksleep.jpg

As for the snakes-not much to worry about up in our neck of the woods (I see you're in NEPA, across the river from me)-timber rattlers are not common, but not unheard of either, but they generally stick to the rock ledges-especially the ones that see a lot of sun during the day. I do keep watch for them and keep Hank on the leash when I think they might be around. Copperheads are venomous too, but as rare as hen's teeth-I've never seen them except in pictures. In the water you'll find northern water snakes-harmless little buggers. They'll bite but they're not venomous and will generally just swim away if they sense people/animals. Say you do you get up to Lake Wallenpaupack much? I heard it's nice.

Badfish740 said:
As for the snakes-not much to worry about up in our neck of the woods (I see you're in NEPA, across the river from me)-timber rattlers are not common, but not unheard of either, but they generally stick to the rock ledges-especially the ones that see a lot of sun during the day. I do keep watch for them and keep Hank on the leash when I think they might be around. Copperheads are venomous too, but as rare as hen's teeth-I've never seen them except in pictures. In the water you'll find northern water snakes-harmless little buggers. They'll bite but they're not venomous and will generally just swim away if they sense people/animals. Say you do you get up to Lake Wallenpaupack much? I heard it's nice.

I have been to Lake Wallenpaupack it is very nice...a bit of a ride about 45 minutes to a hour away....The lake I am closest to is Harvey's Lake....we looked to buy a house on Harvey's lake with a dock years ago but the real estate is outrageous there (for what you get....)as well as the taxes!!!...We looked at a small 2 bedroom cottage not even right on the lake 7 years ago without a dock and it was 350,000...it has been overcome with McMansions....every Dr Tom, Dick and Harry has built there despite some of their main houses being only 5 minutes away!!

speakin of snakes...one of the docs I work for lives in a development near Scranton...(mind you a development all the ole timers here called "snake mountain"and have said it should never have been developed for housing)...Always always believe the ole timers...very very wise...
well the doc put in an inground extraordinaire pool....all the amenities us normal folk could just imagine, the pool house is worth more than an average house in the area....(but the practice is broke....loosing money doncha know...we all have to cut back now :-/ ) well he has had a problem with water moccassin snakes in the pool.(as well as the whole development)...finds about 1 or 2 a day in it....
Talk about hee bee gee bees....he had a pool partay but I did not partake in the pool no sir....no thank you...
That is why we have not put in a pool....I am afraid of snake problems...neighbors here find them all the time in their pools...I do not care if they are rattlesnakes, water moccassins or just garter snakes....all bad very very bad....

That is amazing about the snakes. The only time I've ever seen a snake in the water was in northern Indiana. We lived there for 2 years on the Yellow River and saw snakes all the time. Never seen any of them anywhere else though. Must be the area. Maybe being further south has something to do with it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.