A Day Off and Unexpected Wood Find.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
So I took off work today to work on insulating my basement. I checked the Craigslist ads for firewood as I normally do. Most of the time there is nothing for free. Today there was an ad for free oak firewood but it had to be removed today! So I went after it! I brought home a truck load and still had time to insulate the basement. All I need yet is drywall and paint.

Does anybody know what kind of oak I have? The one is white oak. There is some cherry mixed in too. I put leaves in the picture. 20141010_144640.jpg20141010_182508.jpg

Reactions: D8Chumley
Looks like red oak

Pointy leaves is red oak, rounded is white. I like those blocks, I'd like to try some of them some day but can never find them around here.

Red oak. Any acorns for further ID lol. Nice stack, get it split so it starts seasoning. That stuff takes years to dry.

The leaves on the left look like Black Oak which is very similar to Red; The lumber is marketed as Red Oak. I wouldn't split that too big, then I would stack it and forget about it for 3 yrs. >> But those blocks might be considerably drier...

Reactions: Paulywalnut
I am in lancaster too and recently downed a tree with those same leaves. I am gonna say a shumard oak which is a red oak. Great score!

Thanks guys. I will split it soon and as mentioned forget about it for 3 years. I'm sitting on about 4 split cords of ash and 4 more cords of other hardwood. I have some oak coming up on 3 years. I can't wait :).

Pointy leaves is red oak, rounded is white. I like those blocks, I'd like to try some of them some day but can never find them around here.

I went to a forestry camp back in my high school days. Someone there gave a good way to remind you about leaves:

Red oak's have pointy leaves, like the red man who shot pointy arrows. White oaks have rounded leaves, like the white man who shot round balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.