A Day with The Beech

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Went back in this morning and spent from 10 - 2 cutting this Beech. In the first picture # 1 the main trunk carried all the pressure so I started cutting # 2 which I left some then went to # 3 and cut until right behind the pine tree.

Went back to cutting the main trunk (#1) and after about 5 or 6 rounds it cut loose from the stump which I was hoping it would do, went has planned so it was a safe cut.

Attached are some pictures from todays haul, two loads of beech. In picture 3201 I ended up noodling it.

GIBIR

Attachments

• 100_2789.jpg
    100_2789.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 350
  • 100_3183.jpg
    100_3183.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 356
  • 100_3187.jpg
    100_3187.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 355
  • 100_3189.jpg
    100_3189.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 337
  • 100_3191.jpg
    100_3191.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 345
  • 100_3199.jpg
    100_3199.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 348
  • 100_3201.jpg
    100_3201.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 351
  • 100_3202.jpg
    100_3202.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 353
man zap it was a billion degrees at 2 this afternoon ;-) good for you...

there are 2 nice dead ash in the woods that i cant get a bead on with this pic.

but will be going back for them for sure :cheese:

DSC09727.jpg

loon said:
man zap it was a billion degrees at 2 this afternoon ;-) good for you...

there are 2 nice dead ash in the woods that i cant get a bead on with this pic.

but will be going back for them for sure :cheese:

DSC09727.jpg

We had 80 on the southside of the house when I finally made it back inside the house, I did have three nice pine trees giving me some shade but I was working on a west facing hill.

I almost called it quits but after a chit load of water the beech was getting done today. Haying on a day like today must nice.

Zap

Wood work, good wood.

Sound like it is hotter in Canada than in MI for sure. We had a really nice day in low 80's yesterday; high 70's forecast for today.

Backwoods Savage said:
Wood work, good wood.

Sound like it is hotter in Canada than in MI for sure. We had a really nice day in low 80's yesterday; high 70's forecast for today.

Like you said earlier in the week even though it was on the side of the hill the work was well worth it. I still have another beech west of this that is down that needs my attention.

Looks like today is a day off then tonight I'll clean and sharpen the saws and starting on Monday I'll start on the other beech.

zap

Attachments

• 100_3190.jpg
    100_3190.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 285
zapny said:
Looks like today is a day off

I didn't know they existed in Zap's world.

PapaDave said:
Nice haul, zap.
Did you photoshop the deer, or was he stupervising?

With me it would be stupidvising! :coolgrin:

Zap

SolarAndWood said:
zapny said:
Looks like today is a day off

I didn't know they existed in Zap's world.

We took the boat out for it's first run today with some grub and drinks (water) small body of water but we made it last two hours. I'll throw some pictures up later in the Perfect Picture.

Never wet the line but that will be saved for the St. Lawrence River.

Zap

Good job getting that one cut up safely Zap!

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
Good job getting that one cut up safely Zap!

Billy

Thanks Billy, I learned a lesson two years ago on a big basswood that was in a very similar position on that same hill. The trunk of the tree cut loose and took off down the hill swinging the top of the tree back at me. I was worried about it and had cut some off the top then would step back and away from the tree, glad I did because when the trunk of the tree cut loose it swung up (top of the tree) towards me.

After that happened I called it a day and some of that tree is still on the side of the hill.

Zap

It sure is something to watch a tree take off down hill! Good idea to leave it hooked to the stump until you are done blocking it up. Its scary enough when you are branching a big limby tree and it rolls at you.

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
It sure is something to watch a tree take off down hill! Good idea to leave it hooked to the stump until you are done blocking it up. Its scary enough when you are branching a big limby tree and it rolls at you.

Billy

I'll give this a try, 1 is the part that took off down the hill after some of these cuts, started cutting at 2 behind the cherry tree all the way back to 3, then started on 4 from the top back to the stump, after that I cleared everything behind me and in front so I could work on 5 back to the stump.

At the time we had about a 6-7 inch gap between the basswood and both cherry trees, standing on the uphill side I positioned myself behind the cherry and cut it on a angle while stepping back and thats when the part near the stump took off. My end came up then back down within seconds.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0243-1.jpg
    100_0243-1.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 100_0243-2.jpg
    100_0243-2.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 135
Status
Not open for further replies.