A different type of wood shelter..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
Hey guys

This is a picture of where I keep my wood. I don't have big fancy yards like most of you.

The pile of wood that is in front of the building was taken out of it today. It is leftover hardwood (maple and yellow birch with some white birch and the odd piece of tamarack) and will be mixed with 2 cords of softwood (not in the picture) for this upcoming winter. I have another 8 cords total not in that picture...

The greenhouse gets nice and hot 4-5 months of the year. It can be 15C outside and 30C in there with the door closed. Some times I open it a crack and let some air go through. I often keep the front door completely open and open the back half (roll up plastic to allow for cross flow of air).

It's not the greatest setup but that's where the wood stays in the winter time! I never shovel it off, there was 4 feet of snow on it last year and it didn't cave in! We had a rough winter...about 12-18 inches of snow fell every week! I simply make a path with my trusty Ariens snowthrower every weekend to make sure I can get to the wood. I bring in about 4-5 days worth of wood at a time.

Andrew

Attachments

• IMG_1499 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1499 (Large).jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 832
Well Andrew, if it is working, don't try to fix it. Just carry on like you have been. Glad it works for you.

Backwoods Savage said:
Well Andrew, if it is working, don't try to fix it. Just carry on like you have been. Glad it works for you.

+ 1 If it ain't broke......

Swedishchef said:
Hey guys

This is a picture of where I keep my wood. I don't have big fancy yards like most of you.

Chef, I think alot of people would be thrilled with a yard like that. Nice poor mans wood shed also.

+2
Very unique idea.
I hope you grow tomatoes in it during the summer months :)

Vomit: It's not the greatest piece of land...but it was very affordable to build a house on and close (1 km) to a beach oceanside. 1.5 acres for under $10 000.

Bogy: I certainly do go lots of treats in it in the summer: big beef tomatoes, green peppers and english cucumbers. I end up having to give lots away: my first summer I 11 tomato plants that wouldn't stop growing! I had over 100 lbs of tomatoes!

Here are some pics of the land before and after. For 0.5 acres cleared off, we had 24 cords of wood. VERY dense!

Andrew

Attachments

• Before1.jpg
    Before1.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 655
  • Before2.jpg
    Before2.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 675
  • cleared land.jpg
    cleared land.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 696
Beautiful spot chef, you are a lucky man.

Swedishchef said:
Hey guys

The pile of wood that is in front of the building was taken out of it today. It is leftover hardwood (maple and yellow birch with some white birch and the odd piece of tamarack) and will be mixed with 2 cords of softwood (not in the picture) for this upcoming winter. I have another 8 cords total not in that picture...

The greenhouse gets nice and hot 4-5 months of the year. It can be 15C outside and 30C in there with the door closed. Some times I open it a crack and let some air go through. I often keep the front door completely open and open the back half (roll up plastic to allow for cross flow of air).

It's not the greatest setup but that's where the wood stays in the winter time! I never shovel it off, there was 4 feet of snow on it last year and it didn't cave in! We had a rough winter...about 12-18 inches of snow fell every week! I simply make a path with my trusty Ariens snowthrower every weekend to make sure I can get to the wood. I bring in about 4-5 days worth of wood at a time.

Andrew

andrew -

this of course got my wheels turning....what a FANTASTIC space to speed-season firewood. like a simple kiln.

now i have to add a greenhouse onto the plans for the woodshed that i'll never have time to build. hey...since i won't be building it, i might as well add a sauna.

by the way, your land looks beautiful.

OT

Beautiful location Chef! Does it get windy there and cause any damage to the poly sheet on that shelter? You must have UV resistant poly too because my experience is the poly I have used disintegrates in the sun and cold.. Looks like a great low cost way to store wood and not bad looking..

Ray

Andrew, it seems to me you posted at least one of those pictures before. Looks like a great area.

SolarAndWood: Thanks for the compliments. I really never thought I was a lucky man. It has been a lot of work and there's still a ton to get done!

onetracker: for me it was a no brainer. I had the greenhouse at the place I used t rent and moved it here (2 blocks away) when I built. Veggies in the summer and wood storage in the winter. The plastic is very tough/robust. I can get a little over 3 cords of wood in it and it is 8X10. I stack the woof 7 feet high. Just make sure that there is proper ventilation with the heat. I some times put a fan (commercial one) inside the greenhouse to help with air movement. Window in the back and door in the front and lots of heat make for a great combination.

Andrew

Raybonz: yes it is UV resistant. It's a plastic made for a greenhouse. It's been on there for 5 years now and I have had NO punctures/cracks or plastic failures whatsoever.

Dennis: I may have posted one before.....I can't remember!

LAndscaping got done this year in the front and sides of the house...I am trying to figure out what to do in the back. I want to keep my "wood play yard" and have grass in other locations. I want to keep a path that will allow me to drive to/from the shed without going over the grass.

Andrew

I like greenhouses as wood shelters.

Just have to make sure the stacks don't fall over and take out the glass............. ;-)

Greenhousewellfilled.jpg

Swedishchef said:
Vomit: It's not the greatest piece of land...but it was very affordable to build a house on and close (1 km) to a beach oceanside. 1.5 acres for under $10 000.
Andrew
Round here the cheapest lot is like $65,000 for .15 acres out in rural areas. In the city you'd be lucky to find a ,15 acre lot for under $180,000. That's .15 acres, not 1.5 acres.
If I could find some 1.5 acre lots here, on flat land, for $10,000 I'd buy two. ,,,,, make that three. :p

About the greenhouse,... Since I already have a woodshed, and have been looking to build or buy a nice greenhouse, and know that a decent greenhouse would cost me more to build than a woodshed, it seems like kind of a waste to me. But hey, you use what you got, right?

Woodchip: nice greenhouses! I love them except I would always be scared to break the glass!

Carbon: you can have your overinflated-due-to-foreign-money real estate ;)

I used to live in Alberta and have a ton of friends in BC (lower mainland), Kelowna and a few other places. I know the cost of living out there and that is why I am happy to be in Eastern Canada: I can afford to live! .15 acres for $180 000. Sweet jesus!

A

chainsaws, elbow grease, recycled engine oil to start the fires for burning brush and that's about it! It took WAYYY longer than planned, I ended up getting free help provided they guys kept what they cut. Considering I cut 4 cords (since I work in the day) and they were unemployed, it was a great deal> They got 20 cords of wood for 2 weeks worth of work (8 days).

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.