A few beginner questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

agz124

Jul 16, 2007
First off, this site is just wonderful.
I am from Lancaster, Pa.

I have been heating my house with an 20 year old Stratford coal stove (sc75) for about 3 years. I did install a new gas furnace when I bought the house but prefer to use it when it is not cool enough to burn coal. As I am wood/metal shop teacher (technology education) I find myself in an endless supply of scrap wood and someone a few times a year saying, "Do you have a chainsaw" or "We are having an oak cut down do you know anyone that would want it!" So over the last 2 years I have accumulated about 4 cords of cherry, oak, and maple. I have been burning a little bit of it in our fireplace for fun but I decided to get a woodstove and sell or donate the old coal stove. I know some people will think I am crazy for going from coal to wood but here is how I see it: (please add your 2 cents!)

1. A coal fire is something you build and then keep it going long term (season). A woodstove (quad 4300) can be burned all the time but it also lends itself much better to weekend/ holiday use.

2. Coal stinks when it hits the fire, smells like sulfur. Plus I hate the black dust all over my garage where the coal bin is located.

3. Cost- coal a few hundred bucks a year, wood is free but a lot of work, which is one thing I like about it! It will help me teach my kids what is required to heat a house.

4. ASH REMOVAL- When my coal stove is burning at 300-400 all day I have to remove the ashes 3 times a day! Each time I take the ashtray our a hand full of coal ash falls out of the stove and onto the hearth, this is very dirty and annoying. I bet I take at least a shoe box worth ashes out daily. Because that ash is heavy and the tray is so big it too heavy for my wife to carry without spilling which means it waits until I get home which leads to even more heavy hot ashes. Help me out here guys- how much ash will I get from my quad4300?

Now some more questions:

1. What about bugs? My wife is worried about bugs in the house if I bring the wood in before burning. The stove is in the center of our house in the living room. Does anyone spray for termites? If so what do you use and what do you spray, the wood pile of the area around your stove? If I keep the wood outside and open the door every time I need a log will I be losing a significant about of heat?

2. Is it important to bring wood in before burning?

3. Do you find yourself moving your wood a lot? I built a wood shed that holds 2 cords but it is 200 feet from the house. I have a big outdoor porch (screened in, terra cotta floor) and I thought about bringing all the seasoned wood into the porch in October but that would require moving and restacking everything. Is that normal? This would put the wood about 10 steps from the stove, under a roof, and on a dry floor.

4. I am going to install an ovalized 6" x25' chimney liner and so far Rockford Chimney Supply has given me the best deal ($399 plus shipping). Have you ever dealt with them? What should I be aware of? I did see in another post that someone ordered a liner and got 2 pieces and had to join them, so I will check on that.

5. Anyone want a coal stove? :)

Thanks a lot for any wisdom that you send my way.

Welcome.

On the liner issue, that price from Rockford looks good. Forum member castiron bought his liner kit from them and seems well pleased. I am sure if cast wasn't pleased he would be calling in airstrikes on their warehouse.

The fellow that got surprised by the two piece liner bought it from another company that I had recommended. It was a very long liner and as such was shipped as two pieces. That and some recent communication with this company about some more stuff I need has dropped them off of my recommendation radar.

I am presently getting ready to order the stuff I need from Rockford pending their response to some questions I sent them in an email yesterday.

Wood has a certain allure - heck, being human we tend to tire of one thing anyway. Coal is definitely an easier to use material over the 24/7 cycle, but it does have down sides as you mention. Central heating solves most of these.

Bugs are not really an issue with wood - In other words, other than the fact that some might be on or in the wood, they won't infest the house.....and properly stacked and seasoned wood is unlikely to attract many anyway.

You should easily be able to sell your coal stove, as you are in coal territory there. Try our classifieds here as well as craigslist.

Wood does not have to be brought inside before burning, however moving it from an outdoor wood pile to a small stash in the garage (maybe a couple days worth) will usually help it dry out a bit more. Some folks use a small log rack inside (near stove) to hold a days worth or so. Another option is a really good wood shed or porch stacking, which is done in many places where wood is heavily used. One of our vendors makes super wood racks with special covers that also do the job - and they look good, something which will please you and the wife.
http://www.firewoodracks.com/

You forgot to mention the best part of wood burning - watching the fire. In that respect, it beats coal (and even pellets) handily.

Sounds to me like you need a new coal stove. You should look into a Harman TLC-2000 which can burn wood or coal. Although not EPA approved for it, a Harman Mark series will happily burn wood... Just not as cleanly as an EPA wood stove. The newer coal stoves should only need to be cleaned out once a day at most, and I believe a TLC-2000 can go many days between emptying the ash pan.

Burn a wood fire in it for times when you only need to take the chill off, and add the coal for the 24/7 times that a PA winter will bring.

agz124...
First off, welcome to the forum. Good to hear from a 'potential convert' (from coal to wood). Either type of heating...is a lot of work. Whether wood will work better than coal for you is going to depend on your individual situation. Properly stacked and managed wood is not much of a problem in regards to bugs and insects. Wood does require a little more "handling than coal".
Ideally, you should keep your options open (give some thought to using both fuels...perhaps an up-grade to a multi fuel stove)...just a thought.

Something to keep in mind...coal is not wood, wood is not coal. You might have to change your 'train of thought somewhat' burning wood.

I burn both fuels (in a boiler) and like the idea of "options". I use wood for good heat "production" and coal to "maintain" heat. I have always burned wood but got into coal as well. Wood is easier to "learn" than coal so "have at it" and keep us posted...

Another great site to check out...seeing as you are a coal burner:
http://www.nepadigital.com/bb/index.php

Perhaps a few suggestions could be found there...and if nothing else...they also have a 'classified section' that might help you to sell that coal stove.

...Again, welcome to the forum.

Thanks for all the advice. I am still going to buy the quad if for no reason other than a woodstove lends itself better to weekend/holiday use. Plus I have yet to hear anything bad about the quad4300.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.