A few framing questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jreed

Jan 13, 2010
MD
I am getting ready to frame my walkout basement. On one side of the basement the walls are above grade. Is it ok to butt the 2X4's up againts the walls in these sections? I am going to frame with 2X4's and use fiberglass insulation. In the sections that are below grade I will obvioulsy leave an air cavity.

Secondly, a few walls run parallel with the floor joists. However arent under the joist. It will be between the sill plate and the joist so I have nothing to secure the walls to. Should I run plates from the joist to the sill plate?

These are all of the questions I have right now but Im sure Ill come up with some later

<>I am getting ready to frame my walkout basement. On one side of the basement the walls are above grade. Is it ok to butt the 2X4's up againts the walls in these sections? I am going to frame with 2X4's and use fiberglass insulation. In the sections that are below grade I will obvioulsy leave an air cavity.<>

I'd leave the air cavity at all locations. That way any condensation on the concrete or block that occurs due to temperature fluctuations, will have some air to dissipate into, rather than bleeding into your studs.
I'd also use pressure-treated lumber for the sill plates in all locations just because.

<>Secondly, a few walls run parallel with the floor joists. However arent under the joist. It will be between the sill plate and the joist so I have nothing to secure the walls to. Should I run plates from the joist to the sill plate?<>

Just run some cripples from the first joist to your box joist to anchor your head plate to.
You can anchor will long decking screws & it's a lot easier to drive screws sideways than it is to try to drive them downwards into the sill plate in that limited working area of the joist cavity

My house has a walkout basement, I took a bunch of photos throughout construction but I don't have them here at work. I'll check on my home computer tonight and post any that might be useful so you can see how mine was built.

That would be awesome!

Im on the fence right now about how to insulate as well. Ive seen opinions on both using furring strips and 2X4's. I like the strip idea because of the ease of installation and not losing any sq footage. However, Ive seen you should use 2" foam insulation but I just cant afford that. 1" I could do but Im wondering how much that would help. I have a block foundation and heat with a woodstove. Right now I can heat the basement pretty well but Im worried the 1" foam wouldnt give me much benefit.

If you haven't checked out the "Building Science" website, you should do so - far as I can tell, it is probably the best available info source on how best to do your insulation job. Lots of stuff on how to deal with basements...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.