A few gas fireplace terms need explaining

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinder

Is there a FAQ I'm missing and if so are these on it??

1. BTU - I know what it means as far as a furnace but when it comes to a fireplace could you say that the more BTU the bigger the flame??

2. Efficiency - when I see "Efficiency" is this the AFUE?? and what makes a one fireplace more efficiant then the next?

3. Thermal Efficiency???

Are there any more things that I can be armed with when we go out shopping for a upper low end fire box??

1: correct. more btus more flame, multiply the btu imput times the efficiency to get the output.
2: depends on the fireplace. Some will say AFUE and some will say steady state, some will say neither because there decrotive and not tested for efficiency.

when you are out shopping for fireplaces, you will be looking for what looks best, and has a AFUE or steady state rating. Most builder boxes arent rated so thats a easy one to pick out. You will be looking at tempered glass fireplaes, but if you find a ceramic one on sale for that $1500 price snag it. It will be the most efficient option.

If you buy big btu imput, you might choose a lower efficieny unit, you dont want to be blown out of the room. If you settle on a small imput, lets say 24,000 BTUS. make sure its efficient, because you may be disapointed with the flame, but you will be impressed with the heat.

Some of these are explained in the glossary at the Info page - use the link in my sig to that page or drop down menu to Main Information Articles.

BTU is the amount of gas in - at least the amount that actually burns which is most of it. It may or may not result in a bigger flame depending on burner design.

There are generally two important efficiency numbers....
1. Steady State - this is the operating efficiency of the fireplace (thermal x heat transfer).
2. AFUE - this is #1 but takes other things into account such as how much heat the fireplace loses through the jacket and when it is cycling on and off, etc.

If the fireplace tag does not have these specified, I think that means it is classified as a "decorative" heater and these are usually less efficient. So your first order of business is to look for one that is tested for efficiency.

Hopefully, a more up to date dealer will correct or add to that for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.