A few hickory/oak rounds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

javier

Aug 27, 2010
Southwest Ohio
Thought I would share a pic. Put down a very large shagbark, and a couple med. oak. Finally got it all bucked up and will split after vacation next week. Looking forward to seeing how much we get out of it all. After this is all stacked have another very large and 3 med sized shags to come down. Very lucky over here.

Attachments

• hickory splits.jpg
    hickory splits.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 501
very nice, pete

Sounds like some nice burning in a couple of years. Good work.

Man that's alot of stumps. ;-P

sooo sooo many stumps indeed. need to release a heard of termites to take care of them.

The patience thing is going to be the hardest part for me. Something I am definitely going to have to get used to with this wood burning.

Great picture!!! I love it. My first thought was that it was a elevated wood walking trail!!!! Good job and great heat.

Billy

Javier looks good, how are you splitting?

zap

Lots of straight cuts, the hickory really chewed up the chain. And the bark fights back most of the time by throwing pieces of itself at you as you start the cut. But I think I won.

As for splitting, I have stepped over to the dark side. I started my wood adventures with my stihl splitting ax. Worked out really well, and didn't mind the exercise. Then my neighbor let me use his splitter. I don't think there is any turning back for me.

Nice Job

Here's the dumb question of the day

Since the rounds will sit for a week, why wouldn't you lay them lengthwise to minimize any moisture from rainy day or ground absorption ??

I always wonder about lil stuff like that ;-)

Again, great job on that 'king of all firewood', the revered Shagbark

I stood them up because i thought I read somewhere they will season faster on end. Not that it really matters i suppose over the course of a year or two. Am I wrong on that point?

You may be right.

I just never heard that

If I cannot split rounds right away, I usually stack them lengthwise on skid or off ground on 2X4s so sun and wind help dry, and minimum moisture from rain soaking down in cut ends or up from ground

Standing them up like stumps, seems to me lets moisture in from both ends ??

Lotsa experts here....will chime in soon

javier said:
I stood them up because i thought I read somewhere they will season faster on end. Not that it really matters i suppose over the course of a year or two. Am I wrong on that point?
What you are doing might work if they were elevated off the ground but with the end on the ground it will work like a sponge for sure. I've split lots of wood that was just thrown in a pile and if by chance one was laying on end it was ALWAYS WET inside but if on the side no where as wet.
leaddog

Status
Not open for further replies.