A few more questions please...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clisbyclark

Nov 6, 2010
Watkinsville, GA
I have an old US Stove Wonderwood recirculator in my shop and have had a few small burns so far this year. It seems that the more I use it the more questions I have. Thanks for the help in the past and thanks in advance for any advice on these questions.

1. Do I need a damper? All the stove has now is a regulator to let air in to the bottom of the box. Is a damper necessary as well? If so, should it be installed in the flange where the stove connects to the pipe? I've got a 90 degree elbow off the stove and then 6+ feet of black pipe under 9 feet of doublewall straight through the roof.

2.. Door gasket-or lack thereof. There is almost no gasket left on the door of the firebox or the ash door. I plan on replacing these (anyone know the correct size for this stove?). What benefit will I gain from adding the gaskets?

3. Would a thermometer be a good investment for this type stove? If yes, where do you install the them?

4. Any other advice you've got will be welcome.

1) not if the stove is responding well to the air control (thermostat)
2) yes, definitely replace the gasket. Advantages will be more control over the fire and less wood consumed.
3) not really, just use the stove as designed.
4) burn good dry wood.

With all due respect to BeGreen, I will disagree with his answer to number 3. I've found it very valuable to monitor the fire temp in the flue pipe.

It's not so much being able to put a number on the heat, as much as it is being able to see when you are getting into a dangerous heat zone, and making changes to compensate for that.

By the way, your damper on the stove you have, should be sufficient to accomplish what you need, without having to add another damper.
I considered doing this myself, but decided against it in the end, since I found sufficiency in the damper on the stove.

-Soupy1957

This is a cabinet stove soup. The temp is not visible unless the door is open. A thermometer may help the curious, but I would guess that less than one in a hundred is used with a thermometer. A thermometer certainly won't hurt at all, but this may be the first unit on which we get reported temps back for it. I certainly wouldn't know its normal operating temps. If it is typical of this genre, it may be run at just below the glowing point.

Never heard of a Cabinet Stove, so I guess my thoughts about using a thermometer on the flue pipe are mute.

Thanks, BeGreen.

Respectfully,
-Soupy1957

Status
Not open for further replies.