A few oak rounds for next year.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl

Mar 14, 2008
Northern Michigan
Cut a few dead oak rounds this week. A friend and I spent 2 hours for two evenings after work and we each came away with a load like this. I have already started to split them tonight after I got the load home. Not a bad haul and may go back for another load sometime this summer. The trailer bed is 8'x16'. A dead wood permint costs 20 bucks so not free. :)

We figure this will split and stack into just under 6 face cords. Should be enough for one winter. This will give me two years wood ahead so it is probably enough and I can get some of my other projects done.

277750066_KEm2L-S.jpg

Looking good. Definitely got your $20 worth. I'd get more, Oak will last for a long time even in rounds like that.

Ah, if only... I wish we out here in the high desert of Central Oregon could have access to wood like that. Nice looking trailer, too! I have an 8'x12' tandem axle utility, but just has a railing around it...need to build some wood racks for it. Have fun with your other projects. Rick

Carl said:
Cut a few dead oak rounds this week. A friend and I spent 2 hours for two evenings after work and we each came away with a load like this. I have already started to split them tonight after I got the load home. Not a bad haul and may go back for another load sometime this summer. The trailer bed is 8'x16'. A dead wood permint costs 20 bucks so not free. :)

We figure this will split and stack into just under 6 face cords. Should be enough for one winter. This will give me two years wood ahead so it is probably enough and I can get some of my other projects done.

277750066_KEm2L-S.jpg

Nice load of oak looks like at least a cord of good seasoned wood!!

Ray

Nice haul Carl....$20 for all that Oak I'd say that's a steel. Nice trailer too.

Nice haul Carl. If you run out of room you can stack some in my back yard. I'll keep a close watch on it for you. lol

fossil said:
Ah, if only... I wish we out here in the high desert of Central Oregon could have access to wood like that. Nice looking trailer, too! I have an 8'x12' tandem axle utility, but just has a railing around it...need to build some wood racks for it. Have fun with your other projects. Rick

Lots of our oak is starting to die so there is quite a lot around if you look. The trailor racks I built myself to save money. Bought the trailer about 10 years ago.

I have to remove and replace the shingles on a smaller tractor shed and then reside it along with the attached woodshed. The building behind the trailer is what I have to redo. What is showing is the lean to wood shed I added on. It has a tin roof so nothing to do to that yet other than side it with whatever I do the garage with.

I had been putting off to do all my projects when I retired four years ago but it didn't happen. Still working and I can't let things go any longer so they will be evening and weekend projects now.

Backwoods Savage said:
Nice haul Carl. If you run out of room you can stack some in my back yard. I'll keep a close watch on it for you. lol

.......and if it were to look like snow you probable would warm it in your fire. :)

We are lucky in Michigan to have such good access to hardwood. Others aren't so lucky but then they have warmer winters also.

JFK said:
Very sweet Carl, How much did you pay for that trailer, I would love to have one of those. That is my next big purchase, a nice used one like that
Bravo!

I don't use the trailer a lot anymore but it is sure nice to have it when I need it. I purchased it from a custom trailer dealer here in Traverse City for $2000.00 ten or so years ago. I wanted surge brakes on it so I could just hook it up to any truck without having to monkey with electric ones. I was the first to request surge brakes from him and now he liked them so offers them if you want.

It has paid for itself a few times and I think I could now sell it for almost what I paid for it new. A pickup bed is abut 4x8 so this is equal to 4 pickup loads. :)

Carl said:
I had been putting off to do all my projects when I retired four years ago but it didn't happen. Still working and I can't let things go any longer so they will be evening and weekend projects now.

Well, I retired 8 years ago, and I don't think I'll ever really catch up on all the projects I keep making for myself. I've got a '36 Ford pickup I've been working on (on and off) for ten years...and still can't drive it. Last year was getting the house in Virginia on the market and moving to Oregon. Now it's making this house into what we want it to be. Oh yeah, I need to build a woodshed, too. There's just never any end to it. Rick

Carl said:
Backwoods Savage said:

.......and if it were to look like snow you probable would warm it in your fire. :)

We are lucky in Michigan to have such good access to hardwood. Others aren't so lucky but then they have warmer winters also.

Well Carl, you wouldn't want it to go to waste....

You are right about good access here in the State. What really pains me and has for years is that I can go down road after road and see dead and dying trees just going to waste. It would seem that somebody could use them. Maybe people are just afraid to go knocking on some doors, or it is just easier to call someone to have the wood delivered. Last time I went to town I'll bet I saw at least 2 cords of wood, dead, but still standing.

Funny, even the neighbor, who used to heat with wood lets stuff go. They have been cutting brush along the fence line of the woods just to clear the fence. But along one 200 yard stretch they just went right past 4 dead trees. Trouble is, those trees will soon be falling right on the fence. Couldn't somebody use this wood? Geeze...

Backwoods Savage said:
Carl said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Well Carl, you wouldn't want it to go to waste....

You are right about good access here in the State. What really pains me and has for years is that I can go down road after road and see dead and dying trees just going to waste. It would seem that somebody could use them. Maybe people are just afraid to go knocking on some doors, or it is just easier to call someone to have the wood delivered. Last time I went to town I'll bet I saw at least 2 cords of wood, dead, but still standing.

Funny, even the neighbor, who used to heat with wood lets stuff go. They have been cutting brush along the fence line of the woods just to clear the fence. But along one 200 yard stretch they just went right past 4 dead trees. Trouble is, those trees will soon be falling right on the fence. Couldn't somebody use this wood? Geeze...

The state wood permit doesn't allow cutting of standing trees even if dead. Some restrictions do apply. :gulp:

So if it is down or laying partialy down you can take it on a wood permit but not standing dead which really is the best wood.

Progress......finished splitting this last night just before dark but took the picture this morning in better light.
278310415_iAzi3-S.jpg

Carl, just to clarify, I was speaking of all the dead stuff on private land.

Ya, we know what that white stuff is on all that wood! Glad you got it all split. I finished our splitting a couple days ago. Glad it is done for the year. Now it has to be stacked, but tis a bit damp right now. Nasty weekend we are going to have.

One problem with cutting on private land is liability.
I can't let you cut trees on my property because if a tree you cut falls on you, your widow's lawyer sues me and gets my property.
Same with motorcycle and ATV riders.
Liability release forms don't always mean a lot, either.

All these people (and thier lawyers)who don't want to do an honest day's work for a living are ruining it for everybody.
(I'm talking about contrived accidents here, not real accidents)

I admit that you must be very careful who you allow on your land to work, but methinks some worry too much about this. I also agree about people and lawyers ruining lots of things for honest people. Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.