A few pictures of our boiler systems.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice 711. Thanks for sharing. This is what is cool with all these pictures in one place. You never know what idea you are going to pick up from someone else. Seeing everyone elses system is sharing ideas without even talking about them. You never know when you are going to help someone elses learning curve be a little easier for them. This site does this in several ways. Very cool.

Gasifier said:
Nice 711. Thanks for sharing. This is what is cool with all these pictures in one place. You never know what idea you are going to pick up from someone else. Seeing everyone elses system is sharing ideas without even talking about them. You never know when you are going to help someone elses learning curve be a little easier for them. This site does this in several ways. Very cool.
I like to think that I come up with an original idea now and then, but eventually I realize that I saw it somewhere else before!

711mhw said:
Gasifier said:
I like to think that I come up with an original idea now and then, but eventually I realize that I saw it somewhere else before!

I know we all come up with are own, good, original ideas. It is just that we read and see so much with all the information we process sometimes we can't remember where it came from, if we thought of it, found it, lost it and found it again. I can not tell you how many times I am telling someone about something cool I read and can't remember where I read it. E-mail, thread, news on line, newspaper, magazine, book, etc, etc, etc.

Here is a shot of my setup before she got insulated. I believe I took this during one of my cleaning runs before draining and refilling...

Started the building last year October 2010. The boiler was online without storage December 2010. I am finishing the insulation of the 1000 gallon pressurized storage now.

Boiler is in the 12'X16' area on front of building, Tank is in 6'X20' enclosed lean directly behind boiler room.

gg

Attachments

• Boilercomplete2.jpg
    Boilercomplete2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,019
  • Tankreturn3.jpeg
    Tankreturn3.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 976
  • Shedconcrete.jpeg
    Shedconcrete.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 966
  • Shedlean.jpg
    Shedlean.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 972
WOW! Holy sh!t GG. That is one beautiful looking building you have there. Nice system. Where do you keep your wood supply? Thanks for posting pictures of your system.

Reactions: Fiddler
Gasifier said:
WOW! Holy sh!t GG. That is one beautiful looking building you have there. Nice system. Where do you keep your wood supply? Thanks for posting pictures of your system.

Thanks, Its been quite a project.

I have rolling carts that I can get about a weeks worth of wood on. I keep that in the boiler building, it dries very nice. I have enough wood in the big building to carry me through the snow months. I have another 25 full cords cut and out of sight. I do have to handle my wood more than I like but I will work on that in the near future.

gg

ewdudley said:
Gasifier said:
Hey EW. What's that interesting looking thing-a-ma-jig you built in the last picture of your post? And is that an oil boiler you have for back-up next to your Attack?

The thing-a-ma-jig is field-expedient, shade-tree, rural-contemporary engineering artifact for controlling boiler draft as a function of flue temperature:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/69395/P45/

I've wasted a lot of Saturday afternoons in my time, but that little project made up for a couple of them at least. It controls the burn rate nice and steady, and shuts to air off completely at the end of the burn, which preserves a nice charcoal bed for the next burn.

The other boiler is Keystoker anthracite boiler. It's even allowed under the boiler room charter:

"This Forum is for the topic of Central Heating - specifically with wood, coal, pellets, corn and other solid fuels. We can also discuss multi-fuel systems, which burn oil and gas along with solid fuels..."

EW, The keystoker has a hopper feed on it?

MEHEAT said:
711mhw
Is that a factory smoke removing hood or did you manufacture it? Nice to keep that smoke out of the house.

Yes . It's the factory unit that I can't life without it. It even sucks the dust out of the air when it's cleaning time!

She's not hooked up yet but I'm almost there!
I have the pipe run from the garage to the oil burner which is 70 feet away.
Tuesday my hvac guy is coming to do the hook up.

Should be up and running by Thursday.

1008284u.jpg

1008282e.jpg

The white pipe is the monoflow system that runs around the first floor.

1008281.jpg

This is the 60 year old oil beast that I will be hooking up in parallel to the wood gun.

I have a silly question.

Is primary/secondary the same thing as parallel?

Wow! Looks great Mike. It won't be long now. Good luck this week. Keep us up to date. Thanks for sharing the pics of the progress!

Briquetmaker said:
The keystoker has a hopper feed on it?
Yeah, pretty basic, but it's simple, efficient, and looks like it will live up to its reputation for being reliable. Off-the-shelf Honeywell and Grainger control components.

Although it's annoying to have to take ashes out all the time, it's arguably cheaper and more convenient that maintaining a wood supply and feeding the wood boiler.

But psychologically it's so much nicer to heat the house as warm as I want with as much wood as it takes.

--ewd

Attachments

• Automatic-Coal-Fired-Boiler.jpg
    Automatic-Coal-Fired-Boiler.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 808
Mine!!

Attachments

• boiler building 030.jpg
    boiler building 030.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 914
  • boiler building 017.jpg
    boiler building 017.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 923
  • boiler building 018.jpg
    boiler building 018.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 918
  • boiler building 026.jpg
    boiler building 026.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 914
  • boiler building 028.jpg
    boiler building 028.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 889
COOL bigburner! I assume you made that! What is it? I can't tell if it is a boiler or a hot air furnace. Again, I'm technically challenged with some things. :lol: Very cool. Tell us a little about what you did there man. Thanks for sharing the pictures. That's awesome!

My neighbor has a home made pallet burner for his large metal building that is his workshop. No insulation it that building. It gets cold in there. Until he starts driving up to the dutch doors with the Gehl skidsteer and loading 4 or 5 pallets at a time into it. The thing throws some serious heat off. Have a good one.

Bigburner. Can you explain this system to me a little. It is a little hard for me to tell from the pictures how it works. Is that a storage tank on the right hand side there? What do you heat with it? Anymore information you could give would be appreciated. Very cool to see all the different systems.

Bigburner,

That thing is insane! That is one big burner (no pun intended)
Based on the ladder that thing must be 15 feet high! Holy Macaroni dude.

No need to split anything either, just throw the whole dame tree in!

I guess you are heating half of Michigan!

Very impressive.

welded 1932 steam boiler rated for 30 psi [Hydro at 45 psi] Hot water 1200 gallon, about 800 ft 3" fire tube, several skids of refractory for burn chamber, set up to do up flow gasification with counter flow passages and bypass, wood loaded with two wheel dolly, door hand cranked gear box -open/closed, 4,000 gal storage [unpressurized], Heats - 9,000 sq ft shop @ 60F in slab + 2500 Sq ft house @ 70F Air to Air with under floor tile areas + 1,000 sq ft indoor pool room & 12,000 gal pool + 700 sq ft garage Air to Air [mounted on unit heater] + 800 sq ft apartment in slab, wood consumption - not sure we burn every thing [hard ,soft wet, dry] some days it seems like it is very very efficient and others not as much. My guess when burning hot [fire brick glowing] it has efficiency as good as anything out there. This is fourth season Plan on doing some stack reading this winter, find out where the short falls are in the burn cycle/air adjustment. Hope to also experiment with straw bales and wood chips.

Reactions: Fiddler
bigburner said:
welded 1932 steam boiler rated for 30 psi [Hydro at 45 psi] Hot water 1200 gallon, about 800 ft 3" fire tube, several skids of refractory for burn chamber, set up to do up flow gasification with counter flow passages and bypass, wood loaded with two wheel dolly, door hand cranked gear box -open/closed, 4,000 gal storage [unpressurized], Heats - 9,000 sq ft shop @ 60F in slab + 2500 Sq ft house @ 70F Air to Air with under floor tile areas + 1,000 sq ft indoor pool room & 12,000 gal pool + 700 sq ft garage Air to Air [mounted on unit heater] + 800 sq ft apartment in slab, wood consumption - not sure we burn every thing [hard ,soft wet, dry] some days it seems like it is very very efficient and others not as much. My guess when burning hot [fire brick glowing] it has efficiency as good as anything out there. This is fourth season Plan on doing some stack reading this winter, find out where the short falls are in the burn cycle/air adjustment. Hope to also experiment with straw bales and wood chips.

Very cool bigburner. Thanks for sharing your system.

Boiler guys. Is this all the systems in the boiler room forum. I think not! C'mon, we want to see pictures of your system. Does not matter what it looks like, we just like to see you heating systems! See how others do things. Never know what you might learn or what idea you might give to someone else.

I see there are many new systems and new members. So I thought I would bring this thread up again and see if any of you want to add pics of your systems who have not already. I like to see pics of your systems. Thanks in advance.

All homemade here,up-draft Gasser. Works great! 2nd year in maine, Lots of welding here. Basebboard in propane tank for dhw. works great also. 330 gal. storage

Attachments

• SAM_0484.JPG
    SAM_0484.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 439
  • SAM_0829.JPG
    SAM_0829.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 408
  • SAM_0459.JPG
    SAM_0459.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 427
  • SAM_0457.JPG
    SAM_0457.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 434
All homemade here,up-draft Gasser. Works great! 2nd year in maine, Lots of welding here. Basebboard in propane tank for dhw. works great also. 330 gal. storage

I just finished mine this year. Put about 5 loads through it a few weeks ago during a cold spell and it worked good. 500 gallons of pressurized storage in basement. Boiler shack about 120' from the house. Homemade A coil in forced air plenum. shack.JPGoverall.JPGpiping.JPG

Attachments

• New Image.JPG
    New Image.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 264
Status
Not open for further replies.