A few pictures of our boiler systems.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very cool ozzie88 and Hartkem. Nothing like heating your home and hot water with wood! Thanks for sharing them.

This is my first year with a gasser, there was a NewYorker wood boiler in it's place here, built the house and did all mechanicals myself as well. Only heat is with wood here. Sorry, didn't have any pics of fire on hand, and it's out for today. DSC02801.JPGDSC02802.JPGDSC02803.JPGDSC02804.JPG

Reactions: chewy
Very nice Taylor. Thanks for sharing. Looks like some nice BTUs behind that nice BTU burner!

Almost 4 cord, all ready for winter.....

TS

Wow, these are some incredible systems. I couldn't imagine ripping out my electric unit & replacing it with some of these monsters, although I would love to.

I have been reading quite a few threads and see a lot of the wood stove pictures. Thought it might be cool to see everyones boiler system in one thread. I know I would love to see pictures of all of your boilers in one handy place. What do you guys say? Here is mine.

Is that a smoke flap on thee door?

Some of you guys may be in the wrong trade. We could use a few more good installers. :)

Is that a smoke flap on thee door?

;lol Yes! As you can see I originally posted this thread in Nov. 2011! I brought my boiler on line October 1, 2001 and that smoke flap came with it. It did not take me long to buy the smoke hood and get rid of that flap. It actually worked to help keep the smoke from rolling out the front door but was a pain in the ... when you were loading wood. Here is a shot of it after the smoke hood was installed. Much better!

54990-b6bc6ae9f5a9f82e4c85dacb9ff53f40.jpg

I have since changed my chimney pipe from single wall and installed horizontally the way AHS said to do it with the double wall insulated and sloped. Much better! Keeps my chimney temps higher to prevent any condensation/creosote.

77389-0b2d82eef48abff63487618385f37c81.jpg

I could have saved some money if I had known about the chimney thing before hand. <> But I was trying to save some money the way I did it the first time. ;lol

Almost 4 cord, all ready for winter.....

TS

Your install looks great Taylor. Looks like you could make some money on the side anytime you wanted to doing all sorts of things. Nice pics.

Wow, these are some incredible systems. I couldn't imagine ripping out my electric unit & replacing it with some of these monsters, although I would love to.

If you like to keep more of your money instead of giving it to the oil/gas/electric/coal people you can. Of course if your electric rates are cheap, it would not be worth it. The initial investment takes some dough and some work. The wood processing takes some work, but I enjoy the work. Helps keep me in good shape. And you are always seeing some imediate progress when you are doing it.

I like it better with a "main" and branch lines.

Pull hot water from a fixture and anything else you use will have hot water fairly quick. With a home run setup you might have a hundred feet (or more) of pipe from the manifold to the fixture!

Amazing!

Home runs for each fixture very sweet!

I'm going to have to get some new pictures of mine once I get it back in commission (storage tank issues).

Great pictures guys!

K

Gasifier, I just gotta give you props for this great idea. For the life if me can't imagine why it wasn't thot of before. Although for essentially all of us it started out as a way to save money, heating with wood become's far more than that for me now. Who'd a thunk a wood boiler become a passion. I'll take some new pics and join in.... here's a knuckle bump to ya. Thx

Since I probably posted my set up in different phases through out different threads, am I allowed to compile them all here?
Huh BOSS?, Can I Boss? Cmon Boss, please?

heating with wood become's far more than that for me now. Who'd a thunk a wood boiler become a passion.
See I'm with you tennman, I passionately want to show off my stuff. So can I boss? Please?

Gasifier, I just gotta give you props for this great idea. For the life if me can't imagine why it wasn't thot of before. Although for essentially all of us it started out as a way to save money, heating with wood become's far more than that for me now. Who'd a thunk a wood boiler become a passion. I'll take some new pics and join in.... here's a knuckle bump to ya. Thx

Thanks Tennman. I appreciate it. Kinda cool to to have one place for all this boiler eye candy. Hopefully more and more will add to it. I can't wait to see your new pics!

Since I probably posted my set up in different phases through out different threads, am I allowed to compile them all here? Huh BOSS?, Can I Boss? Cmon Boss, please?

See I'm with you tennman, I passionately want to show off my stuff. So can I boss? Please?

;lol Well certainly! Get her all pertty and snap away. But you have to leave the ones already in the thread. I love that old Ford boiler man! Where did that beauty go anyway? Up to the old boiler wagon in the sky? Those pics in that other thread were pretty cool you high flying acrobat. I was waiting for the trapese to come out in the next picture. You were not part of those Flying Wallendas were you Mike? C'mon. Give it up man. ;lol For those guys that did not see those pics here is the link to see Mike "hard" at work. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/arborist-at-work.92542/#post-1216486 Can't wait to see your new pics Mike. I like to see pics of your fuel for your boiler system right in there as well!

Ok.... First I want to state that EVEN I can upload images now to this new website. AND, after seeing Taylor's install and all these impressive systems here I'm a bit reluctant to "show you mine" So.... whaddya think of my boiler barn!?! Rough cut poplar siding, great shed roof wood drying volume, ~120' behind our house.... ==c My goal of storage for this winter has been overtaken by higher personal and business priorities. Which ain't the end of the world. Behold, your bare bones gasser (BioMass), system designed/installed by yours truly with considerable generous assistance by lots of folks here. Chill's in the air.... game camera's are out.... my favorite football teams are in the crapper..... Life is good.IMG_2693-2.JPGIMG_2696-2.JPG IMG_2699-2.JPG

Hey man nothing to be ashamed of. I think simple is better.
Is your family warm? Then that's all the matters.

Call me naive, but I never would think Tennessee would have a long enough heating season to be justify a gasser and all the associated work. But good on ya. Not paying for oil or gas is priceless!

Reactions: Taylor Sutherland
Very nice Tennman. I like the barn and the boiler. That storage will be nice when you get to it. But until then, you have to take care of priorities. I use to work with a man from Tennesee, well a few of them actually, working construction in Virginia and South Carolina. I think he now lives in a little place called Mickey(?), Tenn. I can't remember if that is how you spell it or not. If you blinked you might miss it. About an hour or so from Memphis? How do you like the Biomass? What kind of wood do you usually burn? Thanks for posting the pics man!

And I forgot to tell ya that out building is sweet.
How much land are you sitting on? Sure looks nice in the back ground.

What's your draft Tenman? Looks to me like it might be advantageous to add another length of flue pipe to get up near the peak of the building.
Code is 2' above anything within 10 feet. Maybe it's just the angle of the picture .............

:) Thanks gas! It's all good here!
Nice system Snow T , Industrial Electrician would explain those great looking control boxes.You use a plate exchanger on this system , just wondering what the temp difference between the boiler side and the load side. I use a 70 plate and its about 20 degrees different, just wondering if that's normal ?

some pix of the system.

Scottsk7.jpgsk8.jpgsk1.jpgsk2.jpgsk3.jpgsk4.jpgsk5.jpgsk6.jpgsk7.jpg

Reactions: chewy and Gasifier
Mike, Although our heating season is benign compared to essentially everyone else here, our ~5k sqft home is pathetically inefficient. We could dramatically upgrade the efficiency, but my wife and I love looking out thru all those old wrinkly, wavy glass windows that allow our curtains to blow around all winter (I know, you Yankees are shaking yer heads). So I'm probably burning an extra cord for that pleasure in an area where our mean winter temp is ~38F. Before the BioMass, propane was the primary heat source so we had system payback in about 2 years. The property is now down to 150 acres of prime hunting, dirt biking, and wood fetching land from the original 10,000 acre Revolutionary war land grant. It's our piece of heaven and we're privileged to be current custodians.

HM, No it's not the photo angle. Code?? You mean zip code, software code?!*? Only inspectors we have check the fittings on the stills so we don't waste any 'shine.:rolleyes: Seriously, since I can't burn wide open without storage, I need to clean the screen on the cap at least once, maybe twice during the burn season and being shorter makes that easier. It may be too short to get good draft but since our boiler is a forced gasser it seems to work fine and the nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away. The prevailing wind is always from the left of the picture coming down the holler. Is the taller stack for draft reasons or so it doesn't bother neighbors or both? In other words is it bad or unsafe the way it is? Since I have your attention and you now have a picture of my boiler room. I'm confused about circ pump, expansion tank, and air separator location/order in the system. I used the basic schematic guides shown up in the sticky and in other commonly shown schematics which place the circ just up stream of the Danfoss and downstream of the boiler. Gonna move my expansion tank to the separator to try to reduce pump noise. Better stop before I hijack Gassifier's thread.

Tennman, love the boiler shed with intigrated wood shed! Oh, and 38F?? That's just getting to be sweatshirt weather around here........LOL..... beautiful lot it looks like you have there!
Skfire, FROLING!! Can I say more?

Thank you for all your positive comments on my install. :)

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.