A few pictures of our boiler systems.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a nice neat job Hannson!

It's always fun to see how folks do things in other parts of the world. Heat still moves the same way though. :)

K

Reactions: Taylor Sutherland
Nice set up Fabsroman! That looks great. How much are you heating and how much wood do you go through?

Very nice Hannson, very nice. How long have you had it? How much sq. ft. do you heat? And how much wood do you go through? What type of wood are you burning over there?

boiler plumb.jpgboiler shed framing.jpg

Attachments

• boiler shed pipe ins3.jpg
    boiler shed pipe ins3.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 563
Dont Know why the pics posted the way they did. Oh well.

Great looking setup J.T. I have a lot of respect for people who can do black iron. The little that I've done has not looked that good! Nice vertical tanks too, you must get a nice amount of useable heat with all the low temp emitters you have in your sig.

TS

Nice set up J.T. Storage is the name of the game. How long you had it. How much you heating? How much wood you burnin?

Been up and running since 12 -31- 10. I burn around 8 cord a year heating buildings in signature and DHW year round. Shop is 15' tall with a couple overhead doors. House is old and could use a few more efficiency improvements.

First of all, great thread Gasifier! So happy I can finally add some pics of my system. Been up and running over a week now and couldn't more pleased with the efficiency, convenience, ease of operation, and of course the comfort.

Details: Varmebaronen Vedolux 37, 1000 gallons of storage, low temp radiant floors utilizing constant circulation, outdoor reset and TRV control.

DSC00358.JPG DSC00364.JPG DSC00367.JPG DSC00372.JPG

Inside the Varm:

DSC00407.JPG DSC00408.JPG DSC00411.JPG DSC00437.JPG

Hopefully I can add DHW in the coming months.

Noah

_g Wow. Very nice Noah! That looks great, and lots of storage. Love it! !!!

Thanks for posting the pics and info. Appreciated.

_g Wow. Very nice Noah! That looks great, and lots of storage. Love it! !!!

Thanks for posting the pics and info. Appreciated.

Thank you, Gasifier. Although my system lacks that nice, professional looking installation, it is all working as it's supposed to. Rob @ http://www.nrtradiant.com/ deserves a lot of credit for making sure I didn't make any big mistakes. I bought all my heating side components thru Rob, and while I could have payed less elsewhere online, having a pro like him on my side as well as this site, gave me the confidence to pull this off.

And yeah, storage is incredible! I knew I wanted it from the get go. If you're gonna do it, DO IT-right?

Noah

My pics are in the furnace thread.

My install / mod thread: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/englander-28-3500-furnace-install-mods.102100/

Do pics of your day job count? I spend 50+ hrs / week here:

Control room:

DSC01217.jpg

Running 2 updraft gassification trash to energy boilers. 500 tons / day of trash = 150 tons per day of ash. The water / steam side runs at 830 deg and 1000 psi:

Lisbonboiler.jpg

16 foot wide fire box, fuel feed chute and ram feeder in the rear, 8 individual moving grate zones in the middle, ash drop off chute in the front:

DSC01220.jpg

And we spin a 17 mega watt turbine. 830 deg and 855 psi at the TG throttles:

DSC01238.jpg

I love to see industrial setups. I have a degree in industrial automation and controls, so the MCC room looks quite familiar, although I do not work in that feild (independent contractor). What kinds of trash do you try to avoid burning, other than the obvious propane tanks and mercury containing objects? Trash to Electricity is a great thing IMHO. We have to pay for trash collection around here.

Do you do anything with waste heat other than heat the building?

TS

mustash29. Very cool! Thanks for sharing that. Looks like a cool job you have there.

Whatever the trash haulers pick up comes to us. It may come in direct from businesses or residential routes. A lot of what we get has already been through a single or multi stream recycling facility or transfer station. Essentially we are getting the garbage of the garbage, LOL. Most of the paper, cardboard, plastics, tin cans, etc have been taken out already.

We also do assured destruction and witness burns where the material gets fed directly to the boilers. Police evidence, contraband, sensative files from businesses, etc.

A 20 lb grill tank with residual propane in it will go BOOM pretty nicely. Years ago we would get beer kegs that were bad, they would pop pretty good when heated and the bad beer turned to steam (1600 to 1 expansion ratio).

We generate about 16 MW and use about 2 MW to run the plant, the rest goes out to the grid. The boilers supply aux steam to preheat the underfire air to about 300 deg if needed to dry out wet or thaw frozen fuel.

18,000 gal propane tank on site for aux burners to heat up a cold boiler or if needed to control CO during fuel anomolies or any other boiler related casualty.

We inject a urea (ammonia) solution into the furnace to control Nox, lime slurry mix in the boiler exhaust to control So2 and stack temp and activated carbon for heavy metals removal.

Ash residue goes to a special tripple lined landfill.

Mustash 29. Very interesting stuff. We almost installed a garbage incinerator at a county facility many years ago, it was suppose to burn so hot and clean that 99% of the stuff that came out the stack was suppose to be steam. But it did not get passed by the legislators. A small number of environmental activist got it stopped. Many were dissappointed. I am all for protecting the environment, but now many people who live out in the country illegally burn their garbage in a 55 steel barrel where officials won't see it because they don't want to, or can't afford the dumping fees. Now everyone pays more money because we have to have it hauled away from our transfer stations to a facility in another county where they use the energy they get from the trash from their enormous landfill. And the landfill employs a lot of people. Just like the incinerator would have for us. :( Oh well. What are ya gonna do. What do you burn with at home?

Wow Dan, that is a very sophisticated system. Are you the designer and installer?Dumb question , what are the green things in the second post 1st pic? I'm guessing valves. You must be very confident in your black iron work with few unions, I used a box full on my simple system and still think more would have been better.

Wow Dan, that is a very sophisticated system. Are you the designer and installer?Dumb question , what are the green things in the second post 1st pic? I'm guessing valves. You must be very confident in your black iron work with few unions, I used a box full on my simple system and still think more would have been better.

Everything in the picture was designed and built by me, the foundation, the structure. Definately the guidance of Tarm USA and the Froling product made the job over the top nice.

The green thing to the left is the oil boiler DHW Taco 007 circ and the other green things are the DHW indirect tank Taco flow checks. Intesesting thing I wanted to show in the picure is the indirect DHW tank had two direct lines for boiler water, straight from the WM Gold oil and straight from the Froling with no recirc in the larger headers. Straight boiler water with one circ from either boiler depending on which boiler is firing. I used a lot of circ isolating flanges instead of unions. Tape and dope everything.

Was afraid to post the picture of my fancy DHW control wiring, considering that is my trade. I like plumbing.

Been loving the heat with very low fuel consumption.

Wasn't able to rotate the pictures correctly.P1000701.JPGP1000704.JPG

Today's fire I knew would be better witth some off time. I loaded this white oak knot that was cut out of the tree, outside one year. I wanted to slow the fire down. Just that and some low quality softwood. Have had to rake the coals through the lighting door twice but I'm burning the same piece of tree from ~ 8:00 am to the picture above at 4:00 pm. The first picture, that's 4:00 pm. The fire had gone out again but that was good because it would have been too much heat. P1000724.JPGP1000725.JPGP1000726.JPGP1000727.JPGP1000728.JPGP1000729.JPGP1000731.JPGP1000732.JPGP1000734.JPG

Everything in the picture was designed and built by me, the foundation, the structure. Definately the guidance of Tarm USA and the Froling product made the job over the top nice.

The green thing to the left is the oil boiler DHW Taco 007 circ and the other green things are the DHW indirect tank Taco flow checks. Intesesting thing I wanted to show in the picure is the indirect DHW tank had two direct lines for boiler water, straight from the WM Gold oil and straight from the Froling with no recirc in the larger headers. Straight boiler water with one circ from either boiler depending on which boiler is firing. I used a lot of circ isolating flanges instead of unions. Tape and dope everything.

Was afraid to post the picture of my fancy DHW control wiring, considering that is my trade. I like plumbing.

Been loving the heat with very low fuel consumption.

Wasn't able to rotate the pictures correctly.View attachment 88441View attachment 88442
Flow checks make sense, is the manifold for future radiant?

Holy smokes Dan, that's quite the setup!

Like wardk said, that's some impressive black iron work you have going on there. I started out with all BL but ended up finishing with copper since I could fit it better.

Great boiler and great job.

K

Status
Not open for further replies.