a few questions about eldorado stone surface prep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tenax

Jan 31, 2009
lethbridge alberta canada
i have read the instructions for installation, but i also know that people will find shortcuts at times with great results. here are my questions:

i am installing on a wall formerly occupied by tile so the tile (adhesive? it doesn't look like mortar) is still on the gyprock which it turns out aside from a number of small tears of the surface paper, is is great shape..no holes..is there a way to smooth that adhesive without tearing the surface..or even if i couldn't, could i put a tar paper/lathe\mortar on top of the surface without tearing out the existing gyproc and replacing? if i could obviously the job gets much simpler.

secondly, if i did have to cut out the old gyproc, how do i cut it out without tearing into the vapour barrier underneath the gyproc?

thank you..

tenax said:
i have read the instructions for installation, but i also know that people will find shortcuts at times with great results. here are my questions:

i am installing on a wall formerly occupied by tile so the tile (adhesive? it doesn't look like mortar) is still on the gyprock which it turns out aside from a number of small tears of the surface paper, is is great shape..no holes..is there a way to smooth that adhesive without tearing the surface..or even if i couldn't, could i put a tar paper/lathemortar on top of the surface without tearing out the existing gyproc and replacing? if i could obviously the job gets much simpler.

secondly, if i did have to cut out the old gyproc, how do i cut it out without tearing into the vapour barrier underneath the gyproc?

thank you..

I'd say if the adhesive is tight & intact, you can install the vapor barrier & metal lathe over top of it. as long as the lathe is secured tight, that is what holds the scratch coat then the final stone product on the wall.

yes! the adhesive is tight and intact! just ridge of course from trowel but i'm assuming the scratch coat etc is thick enough to cover it fine..if this'll work, it'll save me a bunch of pain and grief, i'm sure! thanks hog!

ps- for any canucks interested, i'm getting slate gray stacking stone (from burnco) their prices just went up from 8.25 to 8.75 per square foot canadian. i think that's about 435 for 50 square foot job in my case. would have saved 25 bucks if i caught them friday..ah well..still under the 500 i budgeted for it.

ps- sorry mods, i've had 2 threads moved in 2 days..i'll get this straight yet.

tenax said:
yes! the adhesive is tight and intact! just ridge of course from trowel but i'm assuming the scratch coat etc is thick enough to cover it fine..if this'll work, it'll save me a bunch of pain and grief, i'm sure! thanks hog!

ps- for any canucks interested, i'm getting slate gray stacking stone (from burnco) their prices just went up from 8.25 to 8.75 per square foot canadian. i think that's about 435 for 50 square foot job in my case. would have saved 25 bucks if i caught them friday..ah well..still under the 500 i budgeted for it.

ps- sorry mods, i've had 2 threads moved in 2 days..i'll get this straight yet.

Your good to go. The scratch coat should be around 1/2" to 3/4" think, enough to set into the metal lath mesh & also completely cover the lath.
The scratch the coat, let it dry, then butte the stone backs & stick it on.
I just paid $6.50 per SF US, 4-90 sf boxes (360 sf)was just over $2,400.00 I think, included delivery.
I have my work cut out for me.

yeah, that's great, hog, thanks again..helps to know thickness for reference..i'll go over the wall and remove small bits of loose glue or paper..much simpler than replacing the whole gyproc..you do have your work cut out for you..i don't envy you..unless you're doing it outdoors in a lovely climate (versus indoors in my living room and in winter when i can't open the windows while i sweat like a..hog:)!

tenax said:
yeah, that's great, hog, thanks again..helps to know thickness for reference..i'll go over the wall and remove small bits of loose glue or paper..much simpler than replacing the whole gyproc..you do have your work cut out for you..i don't envy you..unless you're doing it outdoors in a lovely climate (versus indoors in my living room and in winter when i can't open the windows while i sweat like a..hog:)!

Mine is also all indoors at this point. Cept the area has no heat yet, hence too cold to be working with concrete.
So its till spring I wait.

Not sure if you got a manual or checked it online, but here it is..... http://www.eldoradostone.com/shared-downloads/Eldorado-Stone-Installation-Procedures.pdf
Page 6 gives a nice detailed drawing of the layers. I wouldn't go too nuts trying to scrape, no need to. it has no bearing on the stone or the surface at this point.

They have a pretty informative video also....... http://www.eldoradostone.com/flashsite/

I am using Ownes Corning. But basically same installation procedures.

Yeah, skimmed the instructions pdf but not the video, yet. ordered the stone today..5 boxes of the slate gray stacked stone. my wife wants the dry stack look i guess. thanks again for tips on the paper. i'm getting my house painted next week, then i'll do the stone a few weekends from now if all goes well!

Status
Not open for further replies.