A few questions about operating my quad 3100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

uplander

Hearth Supporter
Oct 1, 2008
ne ohio
After many months of researching and reading posts on this wonderful site. ... I recently installed a quad 3100 st with ash pan and acc system. I have selkirk double wall stovepipe connected to selkirk class A. I have a condar probe thermometer about 2 ft. up from the stove top. I have burned 3 small fires for break in and am now experimenting with "normal fires".My dilemma is that after startup and getting a nice bed of hot coals going, I can't seem to keep the temp below 700-800 degrees. I have closed the rear air and burn rate control as much as possible. I have checked to make sure excessive air is not entering through the ash clean out. What type of temps should I be experiencing with this setup and are these temps too high? Thank you in advance for any info you could share.

How tall is the chimney? Did you do the dollar bill test on the door to assure its tight all the way around & not leaking air in?
My insert gets up to about 750ish on cold days with a 27' liner, but usually settles back down to 600-650 after an hour or two

My chimney is 17' from the stove top. I have not tried the dollar bill test but will as soon as the stove cools down.

17 foot is about perfect height, so its no a height problem.
You may have an air leak somewhere. Are you sure your moving the air control to the correct direction>
Oh, what size splits are you putting in there? Try some large ones say 6" or bigger. They burn longer & less hot. Mix it up, large on the bottom, then mediums on top, and smalls to fill in the gaps when burning overnight.

Try raking all the coals to the front of the stove and load the splits in the back.

Is that temp you are talking about the temp on the flue probe?

I loaded 2 larger splits (4-5" dia.) about 20 minutes ago. I moved the air control down to the lower setting right now my temp is about 675. Will a probe type thermometer give you a higher reading than a stove top thermometer?

Not to worry. It is fine. Get you a stove top thermo for the stove. Before a stove settles down in a burn a flue temp of up to and around 800-900 degrees is normal with a fresh load. As it settles in it will come down some.

Mine run around six hundred or so flue temp when they are cruising.

I appreciate all the help. It sounds like everything is working the way it should. I guess I am just a bit nervous, being new to the wood burning process.

Put a thermo on top of it and keep it in the six hundred or so range and enjoy the warmth. A lively fire and small load running at 450 or so is fine when the house is warm.

on the 3100 steps the primary air control sometimes will not close enough because of how the right side panel fits. You will have to mark where the handle stops. Remove the side panel, if the primary air intake is more than 20% open you have to trim the side panel cut out for the handle. DO NOT TRIM IT SO THE AIR SHUTS DOWN MORE THAN 20%. I have found two units where the air was being held open at 40-45%. Side panel trims with a set of tin snips

Status
Not open for further replies.